Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit - What key?

What's Hot
It sounds like Phrygian but it goes F# Major to G Major, I thought Phrygian would be F# Minor to G Major?
Can anyone help me get my head round it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited January 2016
    I don't think it's in any single key as such. I guess if you need to be specific the first part shifts between F# major and G major.
    However you can sometimes use a minor scale over a major chord. This is common in the blues where we often play minor pentatonics over major chords.  
    The thing is to listen to the overall feel, give it a go and let your ears be the judge. In this case I think the F# phrygian works fine over both chords, despite the F# chord being a major.
    Here are a few bars I've just bashed together to test it out....

rabbit phrygian jam
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Basher said:
    I don't think it's in any single key as such. I guess if you need to be specific the first part shifts between F# major and G major.
    However you can sometimes use a minor scale over a major chord. This is common in the blues where we often play minor pentatonics over major chords.  
    The thing is to listen to the overall feel, give it a go and let your ears be the judge. In this case I think the F# phrygian works fine over both chords, despite the F# chord being a major.
    Here are a few bars I've just bashed together to test it out....

rabbit phrygian jam
    Nice improvising, thanks for the help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom