anybody tried Lazy J amps

What's Hot

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    I think the seller is being extremely optimistic.  Maybe he doesn't need the cash, but I'd be very surprised if he sells anywhere near the price he is asking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Do these people not realise that we to are on the Internet and have mobiles to find out for ourselves the truth ;) He deserves not to sell it just for that reason :)
    pmg;697051" said:
    richh said:

Fantastic amps, I have tried one with a Strat straight in, and I very seriously considered ordering one, it was hugely inspirational!  But in the end I just couldn't justify it, I still thought that it would be something that wouldn't be quiet enough for home practicing, though the attenuator is good.  I ended up going another route, a Kemper, which I'm using a lot, and can get some great tones out of through headphones.  In an ideal world the Lazy J would be great, and I'm sure they will also hold their value very well too.

There is one just come up on Gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/lazy-j-20-guitar-amplifier-with-reverb-and-tremolo.-as-new/1124004230 - a fully loaded J20.  Looks mint condition, but the guy wants the new price for it, on the basis that it is available immediately, instead of the long wait for a new unit.  Personally I wouldn't pay that (£2300) for it, but if you are the impatient sort, maybe it is worth it?

Seller says waiting list is 10-12 months.  Jesse told me its 25-30 weeks last Wednesday.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Do these people not realise that we to are on the Internet and have mobiles to find out for ourselves the truth ;) He deserves not to sell it just for that reason :)
    pmg;697051" said:
    richh said:

Fantastic amps, I have tried one with a Strat straight in, and I very seriously considered ordering one, it was hugely inspirational!  But in the end I just couldn't justify it, I still thought that it would be something that wouldn't be quiet enough for home practicing, though the attenuator is good.  I ended up going another route, a Kemper, which I'm using a lot, and can get some great tones out of through headphones.  In an ideal world the Lazy J would be great, and I'm sure they will also hold their value very well too.

There is one just come up on Gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/lazy-j-20-guitar-amplifier-with-reverb-and-tremolo.-as-new/1124004230 - a fully loaded J20.  Looks mint condition, but the guy wants the new price for it, on the basis that it is available immediately, instead of the long wait for a new unit.  Personally I wouldn't pay that (£2300) for it, but if you are the impatient sort, maybe it is worth it?

Seller says waiting list is 10-12 months.  Jesse told me its 25-30 weeks last Wednesday.
    I think the people who frequent a forum like this are relatively clued up on gear.  The average punter on the internet, maybe less-so.  I don't want to criticise someone else's prices but I do think he is being optimistic/naive with his.  As has been said time and again regardless of whether he has played one note through it or used it daily it is still a secondhand product and incurs an instant depreciation as soon as there is an owner (the car example is often used).  I'd like to buy a fully loaded J20 but for the sake of the £102.80 saving he is quoting (price dropped already...) for an amp that has been sat in a family dining room I may as well wait for a brand new one.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The seller has probably learned about 'opportunity cost' but has made the schoolboy error of over-rating it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    It's on eBay now with pics and the waiting list is now "10-12 months, possibly longer".
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9690
    Anyone matched the Deuce up to their Lazy J ? How do you find em ?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Yes, they are, unsurprisingly, made to to be together, voiced for tweed amps. The deuce is stunning with the J20 & J40. However, I personally found it somewhat lacking with my EL84 amps, was a little harsh for my tastes so, as I'm using the Bad Cat and Top Hat 90% of the time at the moment I recently moved mine on. 

But for tweeds, they are superb.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Wazmeister;703356" said:
    I find they work exceptionally together; it just seems to become part of the amp.

And my next question !

Anyone use a Lazy J extension cab ? What speaker is in yours ?

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I really liked the deuce with my J20, it was very very transparent - If you just want more volume and a touch of gain from the amp without changing the tone then it's perfect. It will make the J20 sound huge! Saying that though, the top end started to sound a little harsh to me as the drive was cranked so I didn't really use the boost side too much which is why I sold it. For me the best gain pedals I've found with the J20 are a Kingsley Jester and MS SOV-2. Down to personal taste though with these things.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    To be fair I'm not sure the J20 needs any more drive if you have the VAC fitted.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    crunchman;9571" said:
    I have the 20.  Stunning amp.  Given how loud the Celestion Blue is, there is more clean headroom than you'd expect from a 5E3 type circuit.

It does make a difference what valve you have in V1.  I have a 12AY7 like the original 5E3 had, but I know Jesse does ship them with 12AX7s sometimes because people like them to break up.  You get more clean headroom with the 12AY7.
    Forgive my ignorance, but which is V1, the one nearest the speaker or the other one? Mine has two 12ax7s and want try a 12ay7. Also, what's the switch in between the preamp valves for? Many thanks.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I think traditionally v1 is nearest guitar input, but I'm sure the people that really know will be along in a minute :)
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Just sold my Cruiser Deuce, prefering the left side as an always on sound. Didn't like the drive right side as much and prefer my Thorpy Gunshot for drive. I have just ordered Thorpy Peacemaker which will be my always on and has great tone shaping options. Oops...amp is a Lazy J20. Jester looks a great option but I am happy with my pedals
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Oh - my fave pedal is the Earthquaker Tone Job which is an eq pedal - I remove some mids to my Lazy J .....recommend this loads - quiet and cheapish
    +1 on the EQD Tone Job - a very versatile amp tweaker
    digitalkettle;263682" said:
    You know the 'voicing' switch in the back of the J40?

Which position is Blackface and which is Tweed?

I'm thinking back (away from speaker) is Tweed because it's maybe a little softer...hard to tell at house volume.
    Did you find out the answer to this question? I'd be very interested to know. Also, do you know which of the two preamp valves is V1? Thanks.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    fretfinder;1036785" said:
    [quote="digitalkettle;263682"]You know the 'voicing' switch in the back of the J40?

I'm thinking back (away from speaker) is Tweed because it's maybe a little softer...hard to tell at house volume.
    Did you find out the answer to this question? I'd be very interested to know. Also, do you know which of the two preamp valves is V1? Thanks. [/quote]

Do you have a J20 or J40 @fretfinder as the switch between the valves serves different functions on each model.

On the J20 it subtly cuts some of the low mids so if you are using humbuckers it can help take some of the weight/mush out and on the J40 it changes the voltage in the output transformer giving either a tweed or blackface type response.

And the answer to the original question surely should be 'use your ears', right?! ;)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil;1036792" said:
    [quote="fretfinder;1036785"][quote="digitalkettle;263682"]You know the 'voicing' switch in the back of the J40?

Did you find out the answer to this question? I'd be very interested to know. Also, do you know which of the two preamp valves is V1? Thanks. [/quote]

Do you have a J20 or J40 @fretfinder as the switch between the valves serves different functions on each model.

And the answer to the question surely should be 'use your ears', right?! ;)
    [/quote]

Thanks for that. I have a J20. Ultimately I will use my ears but still wanted to know what the switch is designed to do! Cheers.
    tFB Trader
    @fretfinder, Nigel, just edited my post to clarify :)
    (formerly miserneil)