Chilli's classic car thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27941
    Update on the Merc - his missus had to take it in to the dealers yesterday to see if they could fix the GPS system. After spending all morning in there, apparently they couldn't fix it, and he's muttering about a grand bill.
    £10.99

AA Road Atlas Britain 2015 (A4 Spiral)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm not sure the next Merc owner would be happy with that on the dash instead of the in-car GPS! In any case, it won't be any good because the new owner is female.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    Usually heavily marked down in Matalan... the atlas not the Merc.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    It's starting to look like a complete mess, so I must be getting close to finsihing the poxy thing.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    edited May 2015
    It's starting to look like a complete mess, so I must be getting close to finsihing the poxy thing.

I'm assuming that the thing on the end that looks like a turbocharger is something other than that.  Please.  I haven't read the rest of the thread.

I have now. Fuck, you're brave.  Or mad.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited May 2015
    Yes, it's a turbocharger, a Garrett T3/60. Not that I know what the hell that means. Brave or mad? Stupid might be a better choice.

edited May 2015
    And here's a photo of the gearchange translator. Man, this is a complete bastard to set up, and don't ask me how it works, I only hope it does when I get the car running.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Nearly time to drive?
    My V key is broken
    I reckon I might get an engine start out of it next weekend. That's if it does indeed start, which of course remains to be seen.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    So how does the gearchange translator work then?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I said not to ask.

Disaster has struck once again. I have discovered that the wiper spindle is not only seized, but the two tack welds that stop the whole assembly behind the dash rotating have also broken. This almost certainly means dashboard removal, which I am most definitely not looking forward to. I have jury-rigged a solution for now, but come winter time, I reckon I'm into some serious work. :(

On the plus side, I only have a few jobs left to do before I can drive it. On the other hand I hope it's not going to rain for the rest of the year.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    edited May 2015
    I remember the "Wheeler dealer" episode with the espirt. Took them two whole days to remove the dash, serious pain in the arse.
    edited May 2015
    I had the first run out in it since August earlier on. Stuck in traffic, no cooling issues, and went all the way to Dover and back, which was a bit brave considering all the work I've done on it! Shit, this thing is quick, though, its supposed to boost up to 1 bar, and it looks like it's going over that, unless of course the dash gauge is dodgy, which is possible. I'll have to get the laptop sorted, and plug it in to see what it's doing, performance-wise.

Hugely relieved, and I'm just going to crack open a beer or two on the strength of it.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27696
    I had the first run out in it since August earlier on. Stuck in traffic, no cooling issues, and went all the way to Dover and back, which was a bit brave considering all the work I've done on it! Shit, this thing is quick, though, its supposed to boost up to 1 bar, and it looks like it's going over that, unless of course the dash gauge is dodgy, which is possible. I'll have to get the laptop sorted, and plug it in to see what it's doing, performance-wise.

Hugely relieved, and I'm just going to crack open a beer or two on the strength of it.
    Woo!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27941
    I had the first run out in it since August earlier on. 

:)

That's a pretty good result - congratulations!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited June 2015
    Despite some more grief with the air con and the heater vents, I managed another run out today. I'm treating it as a long term thing, rather like a chronic illness.....

Anyway, we had a drive round Thanet, which was heaving with people given the weather. Sat in the passenger seat, the missus got several compliments about the car, or so she said. It could have been the low-cut vest she was wearing, with her thrupennies on display, but she's adamant they were all about the car.

Whatever, it was a bit of fun, and a bit of relief after all the work.

I might actually get to some of the classic car meetings I've been looking forward to this year. I'm planning on going to the Le Mans Classic next year, and I fancy the Spa 6 hours classic race too.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Looks great, really suits the green.

Ps. Very disappointing we didn't get a pic of the wife's jubblies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I know. Ask Travis the Dog on here, he's had an eyeful recently.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited June 2015
    @chillidoggy. ; How do you get your Phoenix palms to survive the winter.  (The needle date palms not the Chamaerops humilis shrubby fan palms).  Are you right on the coast?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock