Cornford Hurricane head project.

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2013
    jd0272 said:
    How 'technical' is recovering? I've had a fancy to redo my 4x12 in an embossed paisley leatherette type number. As seen on some funky heads of late.

I'm shit at wrapping stuff mind, as the run up to Christmas had proven!

I think if you have all the right gear, the time, and enthusiasm, then it's not a bad job to do. Clearly for a 4x12 you'd need a reasonable amount of room to carry out the work. I used two metal trestles in the garage, with an old kitchen worktop as a bench.

First off you should watch these Youtubes, just like I did. The first one is good for Tolex removal, the second for replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k7rDs4F4qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTd-UOU3l8

I used -

Oxblood vinyl              Free – supplied by Blind Boy Bob, our guitarist

Cabinet wood              Free – supplied by a mate of mine who owes me a favour

Corners (8)                  £14 Allparts

Piping                          £3.14 Allparts

Rubber Feet                £5 Ebay

Adhesive                      £10 AS-Trim

Softwood batten          £5 local timber merchant

Bottom grille               £5.80 – Allmetal Parts

Back grille                   £6.60 – allmetal Parts

Various fastenings      £10 – Namrick

Fused mains socket     £2.59 – Maplin

Thinwall wire              £5 – Auto Electric Supplies

Rubber roller              £6 – Ebay

Handle                         £10.50 – Allparts

Total £83.63

Obviously you'd have to decide what bits to buy for your particular project, but I'd recommend Stanley knife & blades, a decent long steel rule, a hot-air gun, and a rubber roller. Oh, and a patient missus.

Finally, thanks for all the nice comments.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    ^^^^^^^^ Thanks Chilli, I shall Youtube that tonight. Appreciated.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    @chillidoggy seriously impressive ... looks great. Well done!

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    jd0272 said:
    ^^^^^^^^ Thanks Chilli, I shall Youtube that tonight. Appreciated.
    You're welcome. Let me know if you want any more info.

My spray glue arrived today, so as soon as I can get Mrs C interested, hopefully this weekend, I shall have a punt at getting the Tolex off the Hurricane cab.

Specific glue? I'm quite handy so reckon I could tackle it. Love a good project I do.
    I used Fast Fix high temp from AS Trim. But this time I've got Trim Fix high temp spray adhesive off eBay, it was half the price.

Ta muchly. I'm liking Mojotone Western in brown for sale at Allparts.
    Nice one. Have you measured up yet?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    Now do us some soundbytes!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Thank you. It doesn't look like that anymore, as of last night when I stripped it all off again!

Wished I'd never started! The new glue is an absolute bastard to remove. Nearly done but it's taken a long time with a hot air gun. The solvent didn't seen to make much difference apart from smelling worse.

One for ICBM -

I've decided to mount all mains input socket, and the reverb and speaker jack sockets on a metal plate that will run across the back of the amp, as I've never been happy with the original concoction. It's obviously separate to the amp chassis, so I'm thinking I shall have to ground it?

edited January 2014

The progress so far has been reasonable. I got a mild steel plate cut to the size I wanted, and have spent the afternoon measuring and marking it for holes, and notching out the corners. The first job I did was decidedly amateur, and I thought it let down what otherwise was a pretty good job -

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cornford%20head%20project/Hurricaneheadproject001_zps4832b784.jpg

I  had to make a steel plate to fit the sockets on, which I bolted behind the vinyl-covered plywood panel, and around the hole it was so rough, despite my best efforts to make it look nice.

So here's the new plate, notched, drilled, before I folded the edges, along with the first effort -

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cornford%20head%20project/DSCN1396_zpsce3dee84-1.jpg

And here's it laid into the back of the amp, with the black grille above. I think it will look much better than before, although I will have to have a think about the wiring.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cornford%20head%20project/DSCN1401_zpsdc879a45-1.jpg

Tomorrow's job will be to sandblast the plate, then paint it. I will have to make another block and glue it in the head so that the screws will have something to bite into, and there's also a bit of Tolex that will need a tweak. I will have to get some more black numerals to put beside the sockets so I know what they are, too.

Due to the miserable cold, the spray paint never really took to the new backplate. So it was back to the sandblaster, remove all the paint, and start again. The final paint finish is actually pretty good, and the Letraset numerals and letter transfers are reasonable, but they were so damned difficult to get in a straight line.

I put the additional wood block in this morning so will be able to reassemble it all over the weekend. Mrs C has been quiet so far about having various bits of amp and cab spread out across the dining room carpet, but it's time I got going before the storm comes. I need her to give me a hand to fit the new grille cloth and piping, so I don't want to be pushing my luck!

• MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Nice work :)

I've decided to mount all mains input socket, and the reverb and speaker jack sockets on a metal plate that will run across the back of the amp, as I've never been happy with the original concoction. It's obviously separate to the amp chassis, so I'm thinking I shall have to ground it?

I didn't see an answer, but I would say yes. Might mean drilling a hole, though (to bolt a ground wire to the metal panel).
    I had an answer from ICBM which said it wasn't necessary, so I'm sticking with that. I'll post some pics later when I've (hopefully) finished!

• MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Okey dokey :)

edited January 2014

Thank God, I've finished!

Mind you, I haven't plugged it in yet, and if it goes bang, then I shall simply set fire to it. The new Tolex looks much better than the vinyl, it's tougher too, and the steel backplate is a definite improvement on the rather amateurish plywood one. I have been instructed never to attempt anything like this again, as the missus can't stand the anguish, the foul language, and the kitchen being commandeered any more.

Finally, thanks to ICBM, and anyone who provided information.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cornford%20head%20project/DSCN1421_zps448d58e3.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cornford%20head%20project/DSCN1420_zpsb0364511.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cornford%20head%20project/DSCN1417_zps9fe96e16.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent work!