Swapping Out hard to find pedals for more available pedals

What's Hot
I've got some pedal boards/rack that I use for different functions, there are some pretty rare pedals on there that I've been experimenting with more "available" (not always cheaper) pedals to have a bit more confidence gigging them, in that if something happened to them.

Obvious tough one.

Klon - I've got two centaurs, but I've got to the point where I am genuinely scared to have them on the pedal board (not so much in the rack) so I've been playing with something to replace it. The two obvious replacements I tried where the limited edition Timmy, which is much better replacement than the standard one for a klon swap out, but then it's "rare" so not as easy to find, but better to find than the klon. The other is the Jan Ray, expensive, but pretty easy to replace if something where to happen. What else should I be looking at ?

Aquapuss - swapped out my original aquapuss for the obvious next gen aquapuss, it's not as good, it's not bad, but it's just not as good. What else should I look at ?

Marshall Blues Breaker - this isn't a massive problem for me any more as I now have a huge amount of blues breakers stashed away in case of damage/theft, however the JHS morning glory works great as a direct replacement, as does the Xotic EP. - what else is available ?

Zen Drive: again this has recently been a problem removed, as I've got some backups from Lovepedal and the Fuchs plush drive, mentatone howie and Wampler eurphoria (as it's now called) so I'm no longer as screwed on this as I was, but still interested to see what I may no have thought about.

Fuzz wise, this is a really hard one - Cornish NG2 - screwed on this one, can get them but it's a LONG wait list and very expensive, the closest I've found is the Analogman Dark Peppermint fuzz, which has been my spare/second pedal board replacement for a while now, but I've got nothing the that comes close, the Frantone Cream Puff, used to be "maybe that will do" but as that's now EOL - I've got no backup thats really in the same ball park as the NG-2

Interested to hear your thoughts even on the ones I've now got sorted.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    Re the Klon- get the KTR.
    It is 99% there.

Although they are going for £400 these days too.
    ARC do a clone that people seem to rate.
  • I looked for ages for the KTR, but I'm not going to pay £400 for another pedal that I can't replace to act as a pedal that's there to be replaced.
    darcym said:
    I looked for ages for the KTR, but I'm not going to pay £400 for another pedal that I can't replace to act as a pedal that's there to be replaced.
    ARC seems to be the way then.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited December 2013
    darcym;100078" said:
    I looked for ages for the KTR, but I'm not going to pay £400 for another pedal that I can't replace to act as a pedal that's there to be replaced.
    Billions of Klones out there now. I think fredric do one, poodle pedals might even do a kit to build your own.

Actually, I'd say any drive pedal has readily available clones available, and any boutique guy will happily make them, and they're not always pricey really. No idea about the cornish, but he'll fix it himself if it buggers up. That's why they're expensive, rather than the quality of the pedal itself, it basically has a lifetime of repairs guaranteed. I think there is a post about the King of Klones, which is 2 in 1 box.

Aquapuss, carbon copy? Some are noisy, some seem not to be, but worth a go. Or ehx memory toy/boy. They're not amazingly reliable, but affordable ish and readily available. Or a good digital delay, most boss ones have a decent analogue emulation and dry through, and if that doesn't float your boat, the flashback has dry through and plenty of tweakability to get the analogue sound you want. Actually, the mooer ana echo sounds great, too, for slap back, analogue stuff. From the sounds of your kit, you might laugh at those suggestions, but if you're after a very close (indistinguishable to some) sound, you can do it. The ana echo does sound brilliant.

I wouldn't get a Jan ray because the company is robbing people with bullshit, whether pedal hype or cables (!).

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1690
    Talk about first world problems.....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    IMHO an Xotic BB Pre can cover your Bluesbreaker and Zendrive bases (one at a time obviously). It doesn't sound the same as a Zendrive but it does that sustaining lead thing just as well.
    As I say, IMHO
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @darcym What about the Demeter option for a fuzz replacement?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8565
    This sounds like mighty paranoia, there has never been more availability of pedals as there is now. Lose one, then there will literally be a hundred other options in the same category. Chill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • When you say, "have something happen to them" do you mean accidents, or theft? If the former, then chuck them all in your rack (which it sounds like you already have) and get a nice switcher made up. If you mean the latter, then just get insurance and watch your gear.

Did the Klons not come with a hardcase btw? ;)
  • FWIW the Fredric Eagle is excellent. May not be 100% identical (not least because not every Klon is identical) but ta a damn good pedal
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    If memory serves correctly, Skreddy do something very close to the NG2. 
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    edited December 2013
    Matt you are such a gear whore

Just purge your hoard and be free
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    Doesn't Joe Bonamassa operate on a similar ethos ? Only uses pedals that are sold at Guitar Center (hate that spelling) so that on the off chance his board goes missing he can replace it at the nearest GC..
  • Never mind, having had gear stolen/damaged while gigging and being unable to find replacements due to the harder to find nature I thought this was a reasonable question and issue to try to stop happening again.
    DrBob said:
    Doesn't Joe Bonamassa operate on a similar ethos ? Only uses pedals that are sold at Guitar Center (hate that spelling) so that on the off chance his board goes missing he can replace it at the nearest GC..
    He certainly was- I don't know if it is still the case.
    He does carry around about £200k worth of amps at the moment (2 Dumbles, Van Weelden etc) though- not sure you can get those at GC. :)
  • DrBob said:
    He does have at least a couple of signature pedals though, it's a bit easier when you can get Dunlop to make what you want, then get those things stocked at your local shop. Still it's a good ethos in principle.  I was watching rig rundowns on youtube last night and it's amazing how loads of pro players use effects some on folks on forums turn their nose up at.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    You must've been very unlucky to have your gear nicked and top quality stuff break on you to require this sort of back up.

From this thread, it sounds like there are plenty of alternatives around though, especially clones, plus you seemed to have covered yourself in most instances (I'd get an original Zendrive over the Lovepedal one and they're not that hard to fine).

I'd hate to be in a position where I felt I couldn't use my gear for the reasons you've given, but it happens I suppose.
    Good luck with your replacements.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It's a proper dilemma and no mistake... I hum this to myself when it starts to upset me

Posh pedals,
    Worn pedals,
    Little board of Mooers.
    Crappy pedals,
    Looper pedals,
    Purr, purr, purr.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    I did see something the other day suggesting there may be a new run of KTRs in the new year.  Someone on TGP apparently had an email from a dealer although I can't find the thread now.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I find the BB preamp to be a good alternative to the Zendrive personally. I prefer it, i think it covers more sonic ground in the same ballpark of tone.