Adding a body contour to a Telecaster

Has anyone ever done this to a painted body? I guess it could be done carefully without taking any big chips out of the edges, although it would probably take some time. Any thoughts on this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited February 2016
    Sand up to the edges, dragging a belt sander or router would make a mess. I just finished a Tele body with knackered edges, all chipped and split. I rounded it all off in the end and repainted in metallic brown. Actually looks OK but feels lovely with the curvy bits. Had to go from coarse to fine paper to feather the paint off, time consuming but worth it.

http://i68.tinypic.com/zko8pd.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    Has anyone ever done this to a painted body?
    Jeff Beck…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Has anyone ever done this to a painted body?
    Jeff Beck…
    Good answer, Joe!
  • Skodadad said:
    Sand up to the edges, dragging a belt sander or router would make a mess. I just finished a Tele body with knackered edges, all chipped and split. I rounded it all off in the end and repainted in metallic brown. Actually looks OK but feels lovely with the curvy bits. Had to go from coarse to fine paper to feather the paint off, time consuming but worth it.

http://i68.tinypic.com/zko8pd.jpg
    Do you have a photo of the back of this one? Cheers ;-)
  • I was going to ask... Are you thinking of top curvy carve, or just top arm relief or back scoop or what?
  • I think it's called the Belly Cut, but I'm not sure. Not the forearm one.
  • I think it's called the Belly Cut, but I'm not sure. Not the forearm one.
    Like this one on a strat?:

• ....or probably a bit more subtle, more like this?:

In terms of damaging existing paintwork, it takes a little care, and getting an 'invisible join' can certainly be difficult, but doing the cut-out itself is fairly straightforward.  

It is actually a straight-sided carve (ie 1 dimensional curve rather than a compound curve) so I would start with a rasp file to carve the basic shape, and then finish off with a cabinet scraper (individual ones or set of 4 can usually be got dirt cheap).  

Then finish with sandpaper used with a sanding block.  If you don't mind a sharp transition, the sanding with the block can be used to tidy up any chipped edges of the paint and then you have a plain wood cut-out to finish in anyway you like.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    You could forget the paint and take the Tyler approach ...

• WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    I think you mean the Jeff beck approach.

It can be a good look, but a sealer coat underneath can make it look odd
  • Cheers for all the input chaps, it's much appreciated :-)