Dismantling my Les Paul

Never been there gents. My ugly duckling alpine/jizz burst Signature T is crying out for a full strip and repaint and i obviously need to dismantle it. Anything I need to be aware of when removing coil taps? Is the control cavity gubbins straight forward to get out? Any tips muchly appreciated :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Take photos of where the wires go. Make sure you get clear images of all connections.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3963
    Thanks, I will. I should say I've stripped and rebuilt loads of strats and teles but never a humbucker equipped guitar, especially a Les Paul. Just looking for some pointers. Dont's are just as helpful as do's ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    Is this one of the ones with the PCB and push-connector nonsense in the control cavity?

If so, it's easy to take out and put back, but if you want to do the job properly I would plan on replacing it with decent quality separate pots with all-soldered connections anyway.

I think the only 'do' is to take the bridge pickup out first, then the neck, then the switch - the wiring all runs through the two pickup cavities so that makes it easier. Do the opposite when putting it back, obviously.

I had to Google alpine burst, and you're right…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Even though I havent physically checked yet, apparently not. It should have 'hand wired push pull pots' for this 2013 version. If so it'll save another journey to the mojo website ;)
    Thanks for the pointer on pickup removal. I just can't wait to get the white burst off now.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12506
    I googled it too. Dear god, I hope you got it cheap. :-S
    If you consider £639 cheap then I suppose I did :)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited February 2016
    I remember seeing this colour when it came out, but by then I'd ceased to be shocked by the energy that the big G seemed to be putting in to devalue their brand :) Good plan to refinish, because I'm sure that under there is a great, great guitar trying to get out! And yes, £639 is a bargain even in that colour, so you are happy and the big G met their strategy aims. Win, win, I would say ;)
    Cheers Andy. It should look much better with a shellac lemon top and plain brown mahogany back ;)
  • Ooh, yes please. Photos ahoy I hope.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

I promise mudslide.