Reccommended Tools - Workshop Kit

Don't see many threads about tools, specifically, so I thought I'd start this one for general workshop gear that people reckon is particularly good. Maybe others could start threads on other categories (like, say, woodworking hand tools, luthier's tools, etc). If you start one, use the same format for the title so that they are easy to find.

Anyway, the thing that prompted the thread idea was this Clarke folding workbench from Machine Mart...

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cwb10f-heavy-duty-workbench/

Not the cheapest at 90 quid, but the thing is solid - you could jump on it all day, and I don't think it would bat an eyelid. It's a metre by half a metre and has a working height of 845mm. I got it to use as a temporary bench/stand/platform for various benchtop tools that I have or will be acquiring (thicknesser, planer, etc), but I don't have room to leave set up permanently (they'll go under a bench when not in use).

It's nearly 22kg, which should help with stability for the machines, and the plan is to clamp them to the bench rather than drill holes in it. Clamping is good - there is plenty of room underneath all around to get clamps on. The red metal edging around the top isn't part of the frame, but is a rectangle of steel angle that acts as an edge protector. The top is 32mm thick (35mm with the steel angle edging), and appears to be ply or maybe blockboard (I'd need to take the edge protector off to see). No sign of any flex, whatever it is.

It's quite thick when folded up - about the same as a workmate type folding bench, so it will still need a bit of space when being stored. I would say getting the two parts of the brace together is a little fiddly, but not too bad. There are no instructions, and I found that the trick is to extend the legs and fit the brace together with it pointing down towards the (upside down) bench. A pin goes into a hole, the two bits are brought up horizontal, and then a short M8 bolt goes through another pair of holes to keep it all together.

The top is varnished or coated with something and feels quite slippery. The finish is a little sloppy (excess in places - no bare bits). I might sand it a bit to get a more satin finish. I thought about taking it back to the wood, but it's well protected from liquids, so I'll probably leave it.

I suspect my cheapie workmate thing is about to get banished to the hall cupboard.

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom