Can anyone recommended me a luthier near Essex for new binding on a LP

neilrocks25neilrocks25 Frets: 6
edited February 2016 in Making & Modding
I got a sig T one one of the blowout deals, it plays well but I wanted to change the looks. After several mods I got it just were I want it, but it's crying out for black binding. I dyed the binding with ink just to see why it's looks like and I like the results, now I want something more permanent. So any recommendations for a luthier near Essex. I want to make this permanent This is before http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z258/neilrocks25/Guitar/C194DBFF-6D93-47D3-8B11-6E3186EB5D26_zpsfginxpwi.jpg And after http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z258/neilrocks25/Guitar/54FF7EE0-4ADE-4004-8FE5-BBE5952BC15C_zps3ffvkpkm.jpg
Gibson les paul standard, les Paul signature T, Balaguer '"GAB scumden guitar"' Fender strats, black US blue Japanese , Marshall JVM 205c (Dan gower modded) some pedals (some modded) Yamaha THR10
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I reckon that removing and replacing the binding without damaging the surrounding lacquer is nigh-on impossible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Have a chat with Barrie Palmer at Gig Gear in Harlow. Hes a good'un.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    personally, in that situation i reckon you are much safer to get fake binding painted on
  • I reckon that removing and replacing the binding without damaging the surrounding lacquer is nigh-on impossible.

I totally expect that, I can fix that myself it's the binding that's the scary job for me
    Gibson les paul standard, les Paul signature T, Balaguer '"GAB scumden guitar"' Fender strats, black US blue Japanese , Marshall JVM 205c (Dan gower modded) some pedals (some modded) Yamaha THR10
  • Nikko said:
    Have a chat with Barrie Palmer at Gig Gear in Harlow. Hes a good'un.

Thank I will look into it
    WezV said:
    personally, in that situation i reckon you are much safer to get fake binding painted on

Well I painted over the binding to check how it looks, but that will soon rub of so I am looking to change it to something more permanent. I just want to swap the binging from titty pink to black
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934

You said you had dyed with ink?  That will rub off.

Painting it  properly will eventually wear through in high wear areas but should give you quite a lot of years

Its very difficult to rebind a Les paul without leading to a complete refinish, especially on a white guitar where any colour match will be difficult

• Ok I will look into it, any paint you recomend?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11731
    tFB Trader
    The work involved and the cost of refinishing it in would be a fair bit, and may well make a bargain guitar no longer a bargain

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Fair enough, I might make it a project once I get a bit more confident, I just love the look of the black binding Purely cosmetic but it gives me a smile
  • Thanks for your replies though. Just purely out of interest any estimates how much this would cost? I have seen some of your work and it's awesome.