How to relic a pickguard ?

What's Hot
Got a used Fender telecaster road worn 50's coming to me this week. The pickguard on the guitar has a crack in it so I have ordered a Fender 52 reissue pickguard in black to replace it. How do I go about putting somewear on it ? I've got a few ideas about doing it using wire wool, wet and dry etc. Any other forum members offer any advice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3963
    I nitro lacquered mine then put the traditional wear in just below the high e with t cut.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 697
    Keep the cracked one and relic that ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I've only really done light pickguards. I did dull down a tortoiseshell one with fine wire wool, and it gave the effect that I desired.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31114
    edited February 2016
    Ok...get a strong canvass bag, go and get a load of sand, small sharp stones, small rounded stones and grit. Place pick guard into bag with sand and grit. Shake vigourously. It really does work.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• markj;67909" said:
    I have ordered a Fender 52 reissue pickguard in black to replace it. How do I go about putting somewear on it ?
    Are they still lacquered "Bakelite"? I seem to recall that they are just black plastic these days.

If not lacquered then like @Deadman I'd do that first then it will chip off easily wherever you want it to.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Fine wire wool then leaving it outdoors, somewhere damp and sunny seems to work, which in the UK is in a few select spots where the sun gets to.  The green algae seem to eat even the hardest of white plastics, even those cheap bright white pickup covers that won't take a stain..  Then clean it up.

Think white patio furniture.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom