Anyone scalloped a neck?

What's Hot
I was wondering how hard/easy it might be to do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29116
    Like this?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    Partial on the top frets is dead easy. Rattail file gets you most of the way there quickly.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Wow! that pic is a shocker!!!!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24841
    I've necked a few scallops. Does that count?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    Sporky said:
    Like this?
    Sporkers wins the race ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    edited February 2016
    I am fairly sure that's been done with a dremel and sanding wheel fir the most part

Don't do that.

I am sure you know there are two main types of scalloping with different techniques and playing style.  the normal round scallop where its deepest at the mid point between two frets,  or the blackmore style which is deepest just behind the fret.   More recently you tend to see partial scallops and fanned scallops.  The scallops can be a consistent depth across the fretboard, or can be deeper on the treble side

As I said above, for anything above 15th fret I find a rattail file to be good for getting the scallop roughed in, then its just cleaning up with sandpaper.  I eyeball the depth which is quite easy for a partial scallop.  If going for a full scallop then a load of different sized dowels with abrasive attached will do, but you need to start to consider how you will get the depth consistent - its harder to eyeball when the fret spacing gets wider.   if going for a blackmore style scallop you can use the same diameter tool for all - but then need to create a flatter ramp up to the previous fret - so one flat tool and one round tool as opposed to lots of round tools.  

don;t go too deep, you can always take more off but it doesn't need loads and be aware of both front and side inlays.  

also, it may look nicer right up to the fret, but it will make re-fretting much more difficult than if you leave a thin line of flat fretboard either side

• I've scalloped necks. Microplane tools are brilliant for the job, they come in different radii so you can get the curve right all the way to the neck.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016

I heavily re-scalloped an early 62 RI Japanese Rosewood Strat neck (Before you have a go, it was already badly scalloped)  I had to go a bit deeper than I wanted as the original scallop was Blackmore style and very deep and badly done behind the frets, basically cut,  to nothing done in front of the next.  So all the fret dots came out, save the 15, 17, 19, 21 ones.  I did it by eye. to tried to keep the 7.25" radius, if only so I didn't go through the board.

It turned out well and was pretty easy, taped off frets and used a couple of standard large round files (The kind you get in a standard large metal 6 piece filing kit) and finished off with decreasing grade sandpaper and round files and the wire wool and lemon oil.  Didn't take very long, Rosewood and Maple is a lot like soft metal.

Keep your eye on the smaller round file and the larger round file basically does the larger areas lower down the board by itself.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Nice one! I do quite fancy a go and some useful advice here, just need to get a cheap neck!
  • [img][img]

I took a chance on an 'import' neck from our oriental brothers. It came with an Yngwie Malmsteen Fender logo already applied... Pretty good quality, about £35 if memory serves.

Now it looks like this:

[img][/img]

www.theflyingacesband.com
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016

Made a nice job of that.  My scallops were really only that deep, but the fret dots were only a few mm deep and filed out, mind you the truss rod is quite shallow on them Fender ones, so I suppose shallow fret dots make sense.

I think I want to try that on a 70's Allparts neck and do a similar Malmsteen, so much more aesthetic than Blackmore. lol.

Also I can't be totally sure, but I may have used the curved rasp from the file set to get most of the meat out the way, in fact, as I remember, I think that is what I did.  The set, which I carry to sharpen hedge trimmers has two rasps, flat and curved, a curved file, a round file and a square and flat file.

So it was curved rasp, curved file and round file, fairly non technical.

Scalloped necks feel good.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock