Advice.....

Ok, so i'm now playing in an acoustic duo for the first time in a while. I have my old work horse, a Yamaha CPX 900, which is a lovely guitar, however the electrics are shagged and it has a whopping great crack in the neck (long story).

Basically, Mrs PC Dave won't be happy with me popping off and spending a small fortune on a Martin or a Taylor etc, so i'm after a decent (!), cheap electro acoustic that will tide me over until I start gigging regularly and can then upgrade.

It has to have a bit of bite about it, as it's just me on guitar and vox.

Couple of hundred quid to begin with........... Any ideas?
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    There is decent stuff to be had for £200.  I recently bought an Epiphone for my church - we keep a guitar in the cupboard that people can use.  It was around £180 in the Guitar Village Boss Gone Mad Sale (with a pickup built in) and it actually sounds pretty good through the PA.

I'm sure that there are other brands offering similar things (probably built in the same factory).  I'd go to a decent shop and try a few.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    crunchman said:
    There is decent stuff to be had for £200.  I recently bought an Epiphone for my church - we keep a guitar in the cupboard that people can use.  It was around £180 in the Guitar Village Boss Gone Mad Sale (with a pickup built in) and it actually sounds pretty good through the PA.

I'm sure that there are other brands offering similar things (probably built in the same factory).  I'd go to a decent shop and try a few.
    Thank you for that - I was thinking about second hand as well, like a GS Mini or 114e or some other Taylor-ish offering.

• I'd consider something cheap with a separate pickup (LRBaggs M1A is my stock recommendation), then just upgrade the guitar when you want to.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I'd go for a Yamaha LL6 ARE second hand - the new model has a passive piezo pickup. You may need to stretch up to £250.00 for one though.

I'd go for a Yamaha LL6 ARE second hand - the new model has a passive piezo pickup. You may need to stretch up to £250.00 for one though.
    Thanks for that - they look really nice :) i'll have a look what's around. I do love my Yamaha....
  • The simplest is to put a fishman rare earth in there. you could even wire it up to a new volume pot on the old panel.
    The simplest is to put a fishman rare earth in there. you could even wire it up to a new volume pot on the old panel.
    In mine? The cracked neck is taking it's toll on the tuning these days, can't get away with it anymore :D
  • Faith by PJE are good guitars. Should be able to pick up a s/h one for a few hundred

• Have a look at some sigma's nice guitars for the money ,good luck.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    It doesn't quite fit your budget, but I have an immaculate GS Mini Rosewood Electro, bag etc. Owned from new, not a mark on it.

Price would be £360, however you could probably sell It for the same price when you want to move it on again. Only based around the M25 in Essex.

Currently trying to track down my old Martin OMXAE, as its very mellow tone worked better for what I play.
    Bluesman1989;969385" said:
    Faith by PJE are good guitars. Should be able to pick up a s/h one for a few hundred
    I'll have a looksie, thank you!
    rustneversleeps;969428" said:
    Have a look at some sigma's nice guitars for the money ,good luck.
    I have heard good things - I'll check them out, thanks!
    Gru;969582" said:
    It doesn't quite fit your budget, but I have an immaculate GS Mini Rosewood Electro, bag etc. Owned from new, not a mark on it.

Price would be £360, however you could probably sell It for the same price when you want to move it on again. Only based around the M25 in Essex.

Currently trying to track down my old Martin OMXAE, as its very mellow tone worked better for what I play.
    @Gru - I've never played one, however I really like the look of them. I'll see if I can play one this weekend and let you know!

PC_Dave;969591" said:
    [quote="Gru;969582"]It doesn't quite fit your budget, but I have an immaculate GS Mini Rosewood Electro, bag etc. Owned from new, not a mark on it.

@Gru - I've never played one, however I really like the look of them. I'll see if I can play one this weekend and let you know!

[/quote]

No problem. It is currently on eBay @£400, but just let me know and I can always take it off.

@Gru I tried a couple of different models today, and I prefer the 114 to the GS Mini, but thanks anyway :)

Dave
    No problem at all. Thanks for letting me know.
  • Have a look at some sigma's good value and well made and great tone for the money
  • Ditto on Sigmas. I've got a trio of them and they are stunning value for money. Build quality is extremely good and, dependent on the model - all solid, laminate, etc. - they all represent superb value for money. Some suggest they're a poor man's Martin; not so. They are quality instruments based on solid Martin technology for often one third the price. I run an SDR 28H, a OOOM-15 (great for finger picking) and an electro-acoustic OOOMC-12E.
    Thank you all for the advice :)

I ended up getting a bargain deal on a Taylor 114e after playing one and absolutely loving everything about it.

Dave