Ampmaker

What's Hot

I've made a few, simple, pedals and my soldering skills are pretty solid. So, I'm now thinking of knocking together one the ampmaker kits.

Looking at the site I'll probably go for the easiest build, the WF-55 http://www.ampmaker.com/store/WF-55-4w-tweed-style-amp.html

I'm wondering if anybody else has had a go, and - if so - is it something that a bod with my experience (pedal builds, guitar electronic upgrades etc.) could comfortably have a go at and pull off?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Very easy. In fact, I'd say too easy for you possibly. Consider the N5X too. Read through both of Barry's instructions for those two amps and I think you'll agree that apart from more time, I don't think the N5X needs more skill than the WF55.
  • My mate @handsomerik built the P1800 kit as his first amplifier build. It's a harder kit than the WF-55 but he's a very good pedal builder.
    His build thread is here.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3094
    edited February 2016
    I built a WF55, with no experience other than changing guitar pickups, Ampmaker instructions and included pictures make the process as easy as possible, testing at the end caused me a couple of headaches, as I was not really conversant with a multimeter, however a bit of Googling sorted that. It worked first time and I will never get rid! I have since added a simple tone control mod too....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Great, thanks all.

I'll take the plunge with the WF-55 to see how that goes, although spare time is at a bit of a premium so it certainly won't be done in a weekend, as the website reckons!

Did mine in a day!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    Did mine in a day!

Show off!

Mine will likely take a month or so, given the Mrs hates the smell/mess of soldering and the assorted bits and bobs....

• derndern Frets: 357
    Built a P1800 over christmas. Absolutely love the result and the process was brilliant to do and the documentation excellent. My previous experience had been building pedals from kits, building a solid state headphone amp and a little bit of simple car electronics.

Good luck,

Mark
  • I'm half way through a P1800 build (on hold while I wait for a new MOSFET). The kit is great, the instructions excellent, and - if you run into problems - Barry goes above and beyond the call of duty to help. With the experience you have it should be an exciting project.
  • There's a big problem with these Ampmaker kits. Nobody likes to admit and it gets hushed up.

Once you finish one, you'll want to do a bigger, more complicated one! 

:))
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316

There's a big problem with these Ampmaker kits. Nobody likes to admit and it gets hushed up.

Just ONE??????

I did the SE5, followed by a Ceriatone OTS, then a DZ30 then a Plexi 50. Still hankering after something new......
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    There's a big problem with these Ampmaker kits. Nobody likes to admit and it gets hushed up.

There's a significant truth in that (about all modding/building projects). From what I've seen all the ampmaker kits have excellent instructions so I'd recommend building the amp that you'll want at the end rather than just starting with the easiest build.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Even Barry at Ampmaker recommends starting with an easy one first....I'm glad I did, ot gave me the confidence to do it again, although chances are I wont.....