using wood dye with Danish oil finish?

Apologies if this has been covered!
I have already used wez' Danish oil on an old antoria and really pleased with it. ..
However I think I want a gibson faded cherry type finish. ...I believe I need to use a dye rather than a stain. I am hoping to maybe mix an oil based dye in with the Danish oil ?
appreciate any advice/help please. ..:-)
Cheers
Mark.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I tried high quality oil paint with Tru Oil but it didn't mix evenly. Did give me interesting vagaries and variations in the result though!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    I wouldn't.   You can tint the  oil a bit but you don't get string colour by mixing it in the oil and you can't wet sand it at all.

You can stain the wood and oil over the top, but rubbing  oil in will lift some of the stain and fade it a bit.   I have had good results with a direct stain followed  by eze-oil, that seemed to lift the colour less than danish or tru-oil

whilst I love my wet-sanded oil finishes they are not the solution if you need a strong colour.   

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11757
    tFB Trader
    Try stain on first then Danish oil...
    We found that water based stains can be better than spirit as the white spirits in Danish oil can lift the stain 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Thanks guys. . I have already Danish oiled the guitar and neck. .. I thought they might be something I could use to add some colour. obviously with hindsight should of done the colour first! Doh....... :-?