Composition Challenge #12 - Voting

2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @viz @fnpt @kin @eSully @Cabicular @steamabacus @stratman3142 and anyone I've missed.

Thanks for the votes and comments guys .. much appreciated.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Another great collection of music. Difficult task I thought - one person's "sexy" is another person's "irritating", "silly", "perverted" or just plain "dull". And of course it still needs to be good music.

5 points @thecolourbox - great, er, conception: the quiet start, the build up, the climax. Obvious but well executed. (I'd feel a bit more comfortable liking this if I knew what all that French was actually about though!)

3 points @fnpt - being honest, I think I might have been hooked by the first "good morning" but I liked the whole vibe of the track.

1 point @steamabacus - not sure it's particularly sexy, but wonderfully accomplished music-making as usual.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    What guitar synth setup do you have exactly?
    @steamabacus

I worked out years ago that I was no Rick Wakeman so I experimented with a GR33 and a bolt on GK pickup with a Strat and got pleasing results. I even played live with this set-up. The GR Guitar sound (based on Pat Methany's sound) is quite cool when blended with a normal guitar.

I wasn't a fan of the 'bolt -on' GR pickup so I got guitar tech Barrie Palmer (he was at Machinehead, Hitchin) to add an internal kit to a Strat and then subsequently a Yamaha 812W .. Barry is an expert in this area and still does GK pickup installs for Gig Gear in Harlow.

The GR33 tracking wasn't always perfect so I picked up an ex-demo Roland GI-20 interface which I still use. I also have a GR55 which has some great patches and is easy to programme and a Godin guitar with a synth pickup.

These days I mostly go through the GI-20 into a soft synth like Steinberg's HALion or NI's Kontakt.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Thanks @Fretwired ; Guitar synth is something I've looked at from afar for years and years but I've never actually played one in the flesh.
  • My votes are:

5 points to steamabacus - loved the whacky collage of stuff, especially the voice synth
    3 points to fretwired  - kind of what I was expecting but better, if that makes sense!
    1 point to fntp - I liked the mood of this, I reckon if you could get a melody over the top it would sound lovely

Sorry Kin but with four entries and only three votes I had to miss somebody out! Loved your vocals though by the way

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Cheers @thecolourbox and thanks to all who voted for my entry
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

I cringe every time I try to sing but I'm going to keep trying and hopefully get a bit better each time.
  • I know what it's like as I've sang on a few of these now but you've no need to cringe at all, it sounds good. It's easy to say but you just need to have more confidence in it, and sing "outwards" if that makes sense. Try putting the microphone just slightly to high for you so you have to angle your head slightly towards and the prison will open up much more. In a rubbish singer but just doing it over and over has brought about a few good nacks like that to make the most out of it and to help breath better. Also doing it over and over helps you to learn your item voice and get used to hearing it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Cheers, I'll give that a go
  • @kin Your singing is great. Your voice might not be everything you want it to be but I think part of the creative process is learning to embrace our flaws and see them for what they are - personality. Perfection is pretty dull artistically.

I like @the colourbox 's singing too. I'd love to be able to sing like either of you - I have lung problems and struggle to have enough breath to get to the end of a line.

I appreciate both of you taking the time to comment and thank you for the kind words.

• @steamabacus  5 points

@Fretwired   3 point

@thecolourbox  1 points

Old Is Gold
  • voting closes tonight
    Old Is Gold
  • Voting is closed
    Old Is Gold