Finished! Guitarbuild promotionTele build

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
edited March 2016 in Making & Modding
So after a week away and a few days at work, I was able to collect the Thinline Tele body that I won in the Guitarbuild promotion from the Post Office……

Swamp Ash with Walnut top, its really very nice indeed…..

Faffing with neck choices  from stock bits…..

Big headstock?
I like this and would strip the neck and stain/lacquer it the same as the back of the body…….headstock could do with being veneered in Walnut though……..or perhaps Walnut colour stain….

But I also have this 3 a side neck, Fender scale length.mmmmmmm decisions……..

So enough faffing and touching myself…apply stain and a few coats of clear lacquer to the body…..close of play today….

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    That's come to life rather splendidly! What stains are you using?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
    edited February 2016
    Coloron spirit based woodstain, it's about a 50/50 mix of Antique Pine and Light Oak....and Halfords Cellulose clear lacquer, it's all going rather well and I am forcing myself to take my time.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Nice, but needs a Tele headstock.
    It is a Tele headstock.......the large head was standard on some models...

• I know, they look ok when you have 2 humbuckers and 4 knobs. ;)

I used to hate the Tele headstock, it looked like a sawn-off Strat to me. Now I think they look purposely svelte.

edited February 2016
    I agree the Tele headstock does somehow look "right", you will be pleased to know I have sacked the 2 necks pictured and ordered a new one, a "purposely svelte" jobby.......The idea is to stain it the same colour as the back body and veneer the front of the headstock in Walnut to match the front...

• I liked the 3 a side non standard looking neck actually
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Actually I was about to click "pay" for a new neck and held back - £155 will buy decent other bits, so today I stripped the neck with the big head and stained it to match the back of the body and also ordered a piece of walnut veneer, enough to do a couple of headstocks, I like both the necks for different reasons and one will go on the body, with a Walnut head…….

Bloody sodding lacquer? Prepped the big headstock neck, stained it, lacquered it, several runs.......leave a couple of days, sand it all off again, restain, respray again today, several runs, I must admit I nearly made it into kindling.......the body sprayed without drama, only difference was I warmed the cans before spraying the neck, perhaps the warmth has made the paint more saggy? I'm usually bloody good with rattlecans.......grrrrrrr!

• This is what I've been planning but in Jazzmaster form, was unsure about the wood combination, but now have a test subject!
    This is what I've been planning but in Jazzmaster form, was unsure about the wood combination, but now have a test subject!
    Fab! I saw your post outlining your plans, sounds like a great idea.....I'm a partscaster addict, the build above is a real departure for me because my builds usually cost as little as possible, this one because of the quality of the body demands better quality parts and finishes. Thats not to say my previous guitars are dheap and nasty, it's amazing what you can do with budget parts.......my biggest problem is patience, I have to force myself to slow down and take my time......

I've bitten the bullet and bought an Allparts Tele neck......

• paulnb57 said:
    This is what I've been planning but in Jazzmaster form, was unsure about the wood combination, but now have a test subject!
    Fab! I saw your post outlining your plans, sounds like a great idea.....I'm a partscaster addict, the build above is a real departure for me because my builds usually cost as little as possible, this one because of the quality of the body demands better quality parts and finishes. Thats not to say my previous guitars are dheap and nasty, it's amazing what you can do with budget parts.......my biggest problem is patience, I have to force myself to slow down and take my time......

I've bitten the bullet and bought an Allparts Tele neck......
    I can't start on my project because my Parents won't let me spend the money. Can't wait to see yours!
    Its finished!
    Been waiting for the Nitro to dry and "P90's" from the Creamery to arrive, today it got assembled, wired, set up and played - awesome!

Evening suns a bit bright…..

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ended up buying a MIM Fender Tele Vee neck from the forum and a proper Fender bridge plate, all good!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28005
    Is that a one-piece top?  Looks damn good either way.  I like walnut tops.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Yep one piece walnut on one piece swamp ash, very nice quality jobby...

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    How does it sound compared to other tele's?
    A bit warmer and grittier, it's also incredibly lightweight...

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    That looks absolutely the dogs wotsits, @paulnb57 ! Lovely job....
    Thanks @Andyjr1515 high praise from yourself, liked the body so much I bought a Vintage correct Strat body from Guitarbuild.......the madness continues....