Anyone use an Oscilloscope/App?

What's Hot
My LP needs a bit of adjustment, it's been a little bit neglected.

For the purposes of getting the intonation perfect, have any of you ever used an oscilloscope app for a phone/tablet? I thought iit might be a bit more precise than my little tuner or my ear!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    No, not even close unless you have a reference frequency generator for every note you want to tune to.

Essentially that's how a tuner works internally, and also your ears if you use 'beats' to fine-tune the intonation.

I find ears the best way usually. That's how you listen to a guitar, so if you adjust it by ear until it sounds right the way you play it, it will sound right *when* you play it. If that makes sense…

I do it by tuning two strings perfectly using harmonics - which isn't actually correct for an equal-tempered scale, but that's not what you're trying to do here - and then using a harmonic on one string as the reference for a fretted note on the other. (19th vs 14th frets and 12th vs 17th.) Very fast and accurate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom