Lightweight Tuners

What's Hot
I've got a serious problem with headstock weight.  Any ideas what would be the best low cost option (as there are 18) for reducing tuner weight?

I'm going to remove a tuner and weigh it this afternoon to get an idea of what I'm up against.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    Sperzel
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    Gotoh Stealth Keys are probably the lightest, but you're limited to a string tension of 20Kg maximum if that matters for what you're doing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 18 tuners to the headstock? What is the instrument? 

Generally open gear tuners are lighter than their sealed counterparts and that could be an option.  

Depending on the on what type of string is being used you could either use geared or friction pegs, which are even lighter than the ones mentioned by ICBM. 
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited February 2016
    Spezel Sound-Lok work well and are (almost) feather light

EDIT: Oops, not low cost though!
  • JimSoftJimSoft Frets: 0
    edited February 2016
    OK, weighed one of the tuners at 31g.  That means I'm currently at 558g on tuners alone, no wonder the necks dive!  The buttons weigh in at 6g each so I could probably save about 72g in switching to acrylic buttons but I'm not convinced this will make much difference.

@ Earwighoney, it's a double neck 6/12 string.

@ ICBM, I just looked at the
    Gotoh Stealth Keys but at £100 a set and I'd need 3 that's a bit steep for a cheap project.

I might have to leave the strap buttons off and just use it sitting down.  :))
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    How heavy is the body? If it's not too bad, you might be better off adding weight there rather than trying to take it off the headstock.

And if you're wondering how much difference 72g will make on the headstock, try removing two tuners and see how it feels.
  • JimSoftJimSoft Frets: 0
    edited February 2016
    That was my plan Mart, make the headstocks as light as possible without spending a small fortune and then pack the space in the control cavity, which is conveniently in the bottom rear of the body, with a bag of lead shot.

I didn't weigh the body but its only a cheap kit with maple necks and basswood body so in the grand scheme of things I guess it's a light body.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    edited February 2016
    What's the spacing of the tuners? Same as standard cheap acoustics? (35mm for 6-strings, 25mm for 12-strings)

If so you could use 3-on-a-strip and 6-on-a-strip open frame tuners, like these…

They're pretty light and actually work perfectly well if you grease them properly. The only problem would be if you've got 10mm tuners on there just now, you'll need conversion bushings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein