NGD - Martin back in the fold

GruGru Frets: 339
I almost had second thoughts after tuning the GS Mini Taylor back to E to e ( normally play D to d). I gave it a good strum and it sounded great.

An hour later the new owner turned up and a deal was done.

An hour after that I was trying some nice OM's, one of them being the OMXAE that I had owned previously, and it just felt like home. Such a smooth sound. HPL isn't for everyone but it goes from hard strumming to super quiet without losing its balance while (something I just cant get a solid top acoustic to do). It's been set up and is just wonderful.

I am glad I tried the GS Mini, and although it had lovely clarity, and was fun, it's just not right for me.

The grass isn't always greener and this one will be staying for good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nothing wrong with HPL. Wish I had a nice Martin to compliment my larrivee but I play acoustic so rarely it's not worth it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I just picked up one of these yesterday -

HPL back and sides, solid spruce top, 'stratabond' laminated neck, Micarta (or Richlite?) fingerboard and bridge I think.

Sounds brilliant for its size, and not bad at all full stop. It's mainly for my daughter (so I can get my CS Gibson back! :) ) but I may find myself using it as a more portable option too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    These things are really good.  I've got an OOOX1AE.  It's not as good as my HD28V but I don't want to put that in a gig bag and carry it on my back on my bike.  When I tried it out in the shop, it sounded better than stuff in shop that was more than twice the price.
    I can see Martin using this technology on more expensive guitars soon, now that they have been accepted at the low end of the market and it's become clear how good they sound.

The only real flaw with these ones is the unbound and barely finished top, which marks very easily especially round the edges. A single binding and a slightly thicker matt or low-gloss finish wouldn't cost much to add, I wouldn't think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    ICBM said:
    I can see Martin using this technology on more expensive guitars soon, now that they have been accepted at the low end of the market and it's become clear how good they sound.
    I think there's no chance of that happening.  Martin guitar fans are really conservative.  HPL in use for higher end guitars is like Fender, Mesa Boogie, etc making solid state transistor £3k amps. 

I personally think HPL, Richlite has a lot of things going for it - being less prone to environmental changes being a very important one. 
    I think there's no chance of that happening.  Martin guitar fans are really conservative.  HPL in use for higher end guitars is like Fender, Mesa Boogie, etc making solid state transistor £3k amps.
    Mesa already make £3k transistor amps.

OK they're bass amps :). But it will come to guitar amps too.

Martin's buyers are less conservative than you think if they've already accepted a guitar which has no solid wood in it at all other than the top and the bracing.

Time will tell, but Martin are actually quite a forward-thinking company, in a much more small-steps sensible way than the nonsense Gibson keep coming up with to look 'modern'.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Apparently the Stratabond that is used for the neck was first used on gunstocks 20 or 30 years ago.  Originally there was a lot of snobbery against it, but now it's widely accepted.  I think guitars could go the same way.

I know the unfinished top might not be the most durable, but it's also encumbered by a thick finish. That might be part of why they sound good.

Given that the Ed Sheeran guitar is similar construction they will probably sell these by the bucketload.
    crunchman said:
    Apparently the Stratabond that is used for the neck was first used on gunstocks 20 or 30 years ago.
    It's not technically 'Stratabond' (which may have a specific definition), but Framus were using very similar multi-ply laminated necks as long ago as the late 60s. It was a widely-used furniture and even engineering material from the late 50s onwards I think.

• GruGru Frets: 339
    I think the only solid wood on mine is the bracing. Lol. I suppose I never had anything against hpl, but some just won't touch it.
    That's fine, but they also assume they must sound rubbish because of hpl. Which is simply not the case.

The necks are ridiculously solid, I've never adjusted the truss rod on two little martins or either OM. The neck is also very straight, lowish, easy action and still really bendable with 12s. What's not to like.

Gru said:
    The necks are ridiculously solid, I've never adjusted the truss rod on two little martins or either OM. The neck is also very straight, lowish, easy action and still really bendable with 12s. What's not to like. 
    They can actually be too stiff and straight - just yesterday I had to adjust one for a girl, she'd put 10s on it and it was buzzing at the first couple of frets. Even with the truss rod completely slack there was barely any relief at all, maybe 1 or 2 thou in the middle of the neck.

Hopefully it will settle and move forward a bit - I had to suggest she leave it for a week or two and get back to me if it's still buzzy.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    ICBM;1000341" said:
    I just picked up one of these yesterday -

http://i.imgur.com/Ilm2gOj.jpg

HPL back and sides, solid spruce top, 'stratabond' laminated neck, Micarta (or Richlite?) fingerboard and bridge I think.

Sounds brilliant for its size, and not bad at all full stop. It's mainly for my daughter (so I can get my CS Gibson back! :) ) but I may find myself using it as a more portable option too.
    I almost regret selling mine, they are amazing guitars
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Play like an electric, too!