What's Hot
Well, I wouldn't do it like this!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

Oh, wait....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fantastic! AND adjusts the Centre of Gravity downwards in the process!  

B****r if you're a leftie, of course...
  • Clapton signature Strats have the battery here, although extra space is routed on the lower side of the cavity, still under the back plate. The battery is mounted short edge up so takes up less area.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    edited February 2016
    Yes, kind of like a DIY Clapton Strat fitting on the cheap.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/stratocaster-discussion-forum/156933d1355916200-blackie-strat-convince-me-please-image-2653136888-jpg

The only problem with that one is if you try to use the trem and the spring is rubbing on the battery, it will cause tuning trouble.

There's a supposedly 'proper' mod company that does it this way too…

And that will *definitely* cause tuning problems. Why they didn't put the springs on where this guy did, I don't know - it actually makes no difference to the operation if they're off centre.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ICBM;978781" said:
    Why they didn't put the springs on where this guy did, I don't know - it actually makes no difference to the operation if they're off centre.
    Oh I daresay some would disagree. The offset will affect torsion and that will affect tone! ;) I'm trying but failing to remember the old arguments about number of springs...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Ironically there is plenty of room for 2x PP3's under a STRAT scratch plate, without modification
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    sweepy said:
    Ironically there is plenty of room for 2x PP3's under a STRAT scratch plate, without modification
    bugger to change though.

If I was modding a guitar in a way that required a battery I would have no qualms about adding a flip up battery box

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    On an EMG setup they last over a year when running 18v, I just change them when I restring and tidy up
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    A mate of mine owns a bass powered by EMGs. He'd owned, played and even gigged it (albeit not that regularly) for 10 years. He was unaware of the need for a battery... It came as a shock to him when it finally gave out and I changed the ancient Varta battery inside the guitar!

EMG pickups don't use much power - and I *really* don't understand the need for battery doors being routed into guitars, as 1: they look shit, 2: they break, 3: the easy fit ones go intermittent and 4: you don't need to gain access regularly.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    impmann;979655" said:

EMG pickups don't use much power - and I *really* don't understand the need for battery doors being routed into guitars, as 1: they look shit, 2: they break, 3: the easy fit ones go intermittent and 4: you don't need to gain access regularly.

I agree with that, but would still prefer a battery door to under a strat guard.

I have done the EC battery route on a couple of strats. It works really well and you only have to remove 6 screws to change it. Still quite possible to do in a gig setting.

Whereas under the main plate on a strat means you need to remove 6 strings, 12 screws and potentially strain some wiring just to change a battery??? in some cases you may even need to get the neck off.. I don't see how anyone can do that more than once and not appreciate easy battery access.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Any battery change that requires strings removal is just plain wrong!

I have several battery boxes on guitars, I don't see the problem, they are all on the back (except the Parker, which is on the side). They look neat, never go wrong and make battery changes simple. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    I agree with parts of all the above :).

Battery boxes are shit - they break or go intermittent (a lot, it's one of the most common faults I see on active instruments), they look ugly, and they can sometimes rattle annoyingly too.

But taking the pickguard off a Strat to change a battery is too much of a pain.

So the solution is either under the backplate, or a simple screwed-down cover with a normal battery snap - two screws, much more reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• They should make some strats with a mustang esq split plastic control plate so that you can change the electronics like a tele.