Played a few guitars on Saturday

strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2508
I was down visiting my parents this weekend so I popped in to the small local music shop. They've really expanded their acoustic range since I was last down.

I tried out:
Martin OM 16 series
American made Breedlove with myrtlewood back and sides
Guild Orpheum round shouldered 12 fret dreadnought
Furch G20

The Furch was head and shoulders above the rest despite being the cheapest one there (by a large margin)

The Martin felt and sounded cheap in comparison. It lacked authority and had too much zing. Really disliked it.

The Breedlove was a little disappointing. It played very nicely but sounded and felt a little "stiff". Fit and finish was flawless though, it was a beautiful guitar (for £1900 it should be though)

The Guild was lovely. Really not my style of guitar at all but had a lovely warmth to the sound. The round shoulders made it feel more compact and manageable than the actual size would suggest.

The Furch really stood out though. I'm not a fan of the very pale open pore finish on the 20 series but the sound was fantastic. I doubt there's another guitar under £700 that sounds and plays as nicely. It just rang out and had the airy sound that a lot of the European makers go for.

I think the next acoustic I buy will be one of the 23 series Furchs. I had been looking at something much more expensive, but the Furch G shape just fits like a glove
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is a good price for a Furch.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    Furch are great.  I have two.  Having said that I am looking to sell one as I have too many guitars.  It's a 34 spec so it might be more than you want to spend though.

The high end Martins are stunning, but you are talking a lot of money.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2508
    @crunchman I've no issue spending the money on a 34 or 35 series, the issue for me is that they don't do them in their G shape, only in D, OM and OOO.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!