Another query on entry level acoustics

What's Hot
McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
edited February 2016 in Acoustics
My pa's old Takamine (bought in the late 80s, or around 1990, has basically become totally unplayable. Now, this has not been much of a problem in recent times as he has developed some weird auto-immune thing in the last couple of years which makes the skin on his hands pretty much disintegrate. Very painful and debilitating - he can't even slice onions without gloves on.

But after receiving chemo recently (for something else entirely, obvs)  the condition has cleared up dramatically and he's getting a hankering for some light strumming. 

He's asked me to recommend some brands he can look into.  The complication is that he lives in Majorca, so it'd need to be shipable to there. He's basically a strummer and after the lowest action, easiest playing you can get for less than, say, 300 Euros. Solid woods and bling are not important. Second hand would be tricky due to location. I've recommended Sigma, Vintage, Yamaha, Epiphone. 

Any others or suggestions for models?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited February 2016
    Id say you've covered it with those brands.
    Thomann stock Vintage so delivery should be ok.
    I play a Vintage Brett 12- it's superb. There's a 6 string which is apparently equally good, but probably over budget. I've also played several of their other models- the V300 stands out as excellent.

All the Sigmas I've played have been good.
    While I dislike the plasticy feel of the Yamaha Cpx range- the finish is indestructible! the F310 is a good (& cheap) acoustic.

Would a nice nylon strung acoustic not be easier due to the lower string tension? Just a thought.
  • There is no other brand but Yamaha. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Id say you've covered it with those brands.
    Thomann stock Vintage so delivery should be ok.
    I play a Vintage Brett 12- it's superb. There's a 6 string which is apparently equally good, but probably over budget. I've also played several of their other models- the V300 stands out as excellent.

All the Sigmas I've played have been good.
    While I dislike the plasticy feel of the Yamaha Cpx range- the finish is indestructible! the F310 is a good (& cheap) acoustic.

Would a nice nylon strung acoustic not be easier due to the lower string tension? Just a thought.
    Good stuff - thanks. You're probably right about the nylon string thing and, given that he's in Spain (and half half Spanish) that would be the sensible thing. But aren't they much wider at the nut? Basically a bit more tricky to play for aging mitts? Plus bashing out American Pie on a classical just isn't the same is it...

edited February 2016
    There is no other brand but Yamaha
    Yeah yeah Ross ;-)

But which ones fit the bill? What is the distributor in Spain like? 

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1104
    For me you could also add Cort and LAG to the list they do some nice budget acoustics.

Pity its hard to get something shipped out there as i have a nice fully case'ed Cort Earth acoustic up forsale in the classifieds here that would suit ;)
  • Sorry, didn't even read the post. Feel terrible now. 

I'm sure Spanish distribution will be fine. We do it ourselves so should be readily available. 

The FG700MS is about as good as you get for the money. That said, if something a little more forgiving is needed, don't rule out the F310. Naturally it's an inexpensive guitar (notice I didn't say cheap) but the scale length is a wee bit shorter. Obviously any guitar with lighter strings on and tuned down will be forgiving on the fingers though.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Sorry, didn't even read the post. Feel terrible now. 

I'm sure Spanish distribution will be fine. We do it ourselves so should be readily available. 

The FG700MS is about as good as you get for the money. That said, if something a little more forgiving is needed, don't rule out the F310. Naturally it's an inexpensive guitar (notice I didn't say cheap) but the scale length is a wee bit shorter. Obviously any guitar with lighter strings on and tuned down will be forgiving on the fingers though.
    Don't feel bad. Just buy me a beer or protect me from handsome_chris this weekend in Brum. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Sorry just realised I didn't put this in the acoustics section. I'm on it...

Gizmo said:
    For me you could also add Cort and LAG to the list they do some nice budget acoustics.

Pity its hard to get something shipped out there as i have a nice fully case'ed Cort Earth acoustic up forsale in the classifieds here that would suit ;)
    Just looked at the ad. Looks pretty interesting. I'm not due to head out to Spain anytime soon and I've never posted an acoustic abroad.... Are going to be at the guitar show in Brum this weekend?