New acoustic guitar for a beginner

What's Hot

A colleague has asked me for advice for a new acoustic guitar to replace his dodgy ebay purchase he has been using up to now.

He is just learning, but as he puts it, we doesn't want the guitar to hold him back, he wants to hold the guitar back.

Budget-wise he says up to around £500 but less if possible. Just something which is nice to play and good to learn on.

All suggestions welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For £500 he should be able to get something EXCELLENT!

The obvious suggestion is the ever popular Taylor GS Mini. Brilliant to play and they sound good too- simply superb guitars.

It's also worth checking out Sigma guitars- they seem to do Martin clones & mighty nice they are too.
    Faith have a lot of guitars in that price range. 

There's a comprehensive list here:

Obviously it's worth bearing mind what kind of music he'll want to play- finger style? Strummed chords? Horses for courses and all that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks very much. Yeah, I pointed out to him he could probably spend way less than that and get something he would be happy with.

(I've had my £500 Landola for 23 years and it's still going strong)

• Sigma Dr28, Yamaha LL6 or LS6 - all under budget, or the all solid LL16M which is bang on budget.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I played a well set up Sigma OMM-ST at the weekend. For £189 it was brilliant. Solid Spruce top. The slightly more bling OMM-4 with bound neck was also very nice for £279.

I once owned a 000-15M, which I couldn't fault either about £240 new.

I've played a few sigmas now and not one has disappointed.
  • The GS Mini is superb from a playability point of view.

I have mine on a stand behind the sofa - it gets played more than any other guitar I own (including a Martin D28 which I've owned for over 20 years).
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Vintage V300 are amazing for the money especially after a bit of a setup.
  • The GS Mini is superb from a playability point of view.

I have mine on a stand behind the sofa - it gets played more than any other guitar I own (including a Martin D28 which I've owned for over 20 years).

The neck let's the gs mini down in my opinion
  • musicman100;987922" said:
    The neck let's the gs mini down in my opinion
    Really?

I'm assuming you've either played a bad example (which is pretty rare with Taylor's quality control) or that there's something specific about it that doesn't suit you?
  • It was just the feel n the finish on the neck that I don't like. I just think it let's the guitar down. Other than that i was a nice little guitar.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    richardhomer;983894" said:
    The GS Mini is superb from a playability point of view.

The Rosewood one I owned was lovely especially for the way that I play. I was the only guitar I had since last September.

Superb sofa guitar. My only slight issue was the string spacing at the nut and the low end drop once past the 7th/8th fret, which is why I switched to an OM. Still not 100% sure it was the right choice? I can certainly see why the GS mini is so so popular and I would certainly buy another Taylor in the future, outstanding fit and finish. They are not cheap, but they are very very good.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Gru;989912" said:
    Superb sofa guitar. My only slight issue was the string spacing at the nut and the low end drop once past the 7th/8th fret, which is why I switched to an OM. Still not 100% sure it was the right choice? I can certainly see why the GS mini is so so popular and I would certainly buy another Taylor in the future, outstanding fit and finish. They are not cheap, but they are very very good.
    I think that's a very fair assessment - the neck is a bit narrow (which is probably good for someone who's just starting out) and they don't have the bass extension/fullness of a 'full size' guitar. But they do have enough to sound bigger than they actually are.

I suppose what I mean is they give enough of the favour of a much more high-end guitar, without the cost. If you can afford one as an 'extra', they're a great companion to have around.