Baking help!

What's Hot
Work are doing a charity bake off that I've been roped into.  Can't really complain - for every entry work are donating £50 to cancer research.

I'm a decent cook and I'm certainly no stranger to baking but I've run into a bit of a problem.  I'd already decided what to make and did a test run today.  If you're a fan of the bake off you might remember a 20 layer, grilled cake from the 2014 series - a schichttorte. 

So, I made this today

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5256888/schichttorte.jpg

It looks pretty good in my opinion and it tastes pretty good too but it has a really off putting, rubbery texture.  A quick look online suggests that it's meant to be like that but that doesn't really help my chances of winning.

So, I'm looking for something else to make that's reasonably impressive and doesn't feel like you're chewing on cold pancakes.  Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

You could make a guitar body out of that chopping board.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Post me that torte and I'll send you a box of Mr Kiplings!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Black Forest gateux. Not too hard and pretty much everyone is a fan, or, for my birthday a few weeks back my wife made Guinness chocolate cake and it was amazing.
  • Ooh, I've had Guiness chocolate cake - we had a Bake Off at work and that was my favourite .
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8087

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30206
    Griestorte! Specifically Mary Berry's one. Pretty easy but very, very tasty indeed.

http://pajamabaker.com/2012/09/09/lemon-griestorte/
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    How about something like this?

It was something Mrs R did for my 50th last year - based on my Gretsch G6120AM
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74473
    I think you may need to re-think the design a bit - it looks a bit restrictive for chords. You'll need to play the bottom three strings with your thumb around the top side of the neck.

Not to mention quite a high probability of setting your picking hand on fire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Another vote for some kind of arctic roll, or....I love those Pecan Plaits things with maple syrup.  What about a crispy bacon, maple syrup and pecan with Swiss burger bake cake?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    RedRabbit said:
    If you're a fan of the bake off you might remember a 20 layer, grilled cake from the 2014 series - a schichttorte. 

Oh, I don't think your torte is that bad.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flourless chocolate torte. Simple, makes the gluten free people happy, ingredients list isn't a faff, looks great with white chocolate drops in it, and served with cherry kirsch. 

Schichttorte is rubbery whoever makes it in my experience. 

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Schichttorte    may be a clue in the name as to its merits  or lack off:)
  • Cheers for the suggestions.

Front runners at the moment are the griestorte and the chocolate torte.  Would love to do the guitar cake idea but it's meant to be anonymous and I think it would give me away.

I'm wondering if to go savoury and do a fancy loaf.  Maybe something like this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nQqDoVupfXk/VKNFPOoPQVI/AAAAAAAAIIA/YIRMi0Qx248/s1600/DSC_0121.JPG

• SporkySporky Frets: 30206
    People do seem to think that bread is harder (and thus more impressive) than it really is...

The griestorte looks quite pretty and tastes fantastic.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    Whenever I try something fancy for a work bake off I always come 4th or 5th place.

The winner is usually something relatively easy but with mass appeal. Black forest cupcakes won the last one even though the actual cake was dry!!!

Go for something easy and visually impressive
  • WezV said:
    Whenever I try something fancy for a work bake off I always come 4th or 5th place.

The winner is usually something relatively easy but with mass appeal. Black forest cupcakes won the last one even though the actual cake was dry!!!

Go for something easy and visually impressive
    I think this will be the case with ours which is why I was drawn to the schichttorte.  It looks great, really isn't that difficult to make but, unfortunately, has this really odd texture.  It probably will be something simple that wins it but there seems to be some expectation that I'll do something complicated.

I'm leaning towards the bread.  I know bread pretty well but the problem is finding the time to make a loaf that's still fresh in time for the bake off.  It's on Thursday and we're rehearsing on Wednesday night.  I think I need to work out how early I'd need to get up on Thursday morning to make a loaf and get it into work for 9am.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited February 2016
    here's one I made earlier  - Bacon and Onion steamed Pudding

http://i59.tinypic.com/2rnx4iq.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

At the moment I've got a test loaf proving - it's a new recipe to me and some of the quantities looked off so I've tweaked it (mainly adding more liquid) and the dough still felt tight while kneading it but I guess time will tell.
  • Do a really good red velvet cake. You need red gel food dye, not just liquid colouring. And cream cheese frosting (yes, icing, I know, whatever). Looks purdy and tastes excellent and most people have no idea that it's just cake.

Or do something chocolatey with marzipan bees on it. Because who doesn't love bees?

photo bees_zpscduvyyyq.jpg
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I like the bees.  Are the wings sliced almonds?

I did look at a red velvet cake.  I think I've already got red gel dye in from making a spiderman cake for my neice's birthday.

I'll see how this loaf turns out - the initial proving didn't give much of rise in the dough though.  Maybe my yeast is past it's best.