No screw, no glue neck joint......

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
edited February 2016 in Making & Modding
Amazing carpentey skills, a solution looking for a problem? Clever or overthought?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5598
    Very clever, but unnecessary. We've managed just fine this long, haven't we? Given the depth and length of joint required, what happens when the wood is carved back to neck thickness? Will he end up removing the locking tongue at the base of the heel? We need an 'after' video to see the end result.

As a former cabinet maker I applaud the thought involved. It seems based on this Japanese joint:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    Clever, but pointless really. Once the block has been driven in you can't get it apart any more easily than a standard glued joint.

If that was me I would use it to make a glued joint absolutely flawless rather than to avoid glue - that's what all the best cabinet-makers' joints do anyway... because old glues were not that strong, they're designed so the fit of the wood provides the strength and the glue just locks them into place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    edited February 2016
    Heres the finished guitar.......

as stated above you'd never get it apart....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Very clever indeed

The heel is under the 13th fret. That's not progress!

Great carpentry though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Reading about them to remove the neck apparently he just puts a screw in the block and pulls it out. Then he makes a new block when rebuilt. Very clever and beautiful guitar, but not cheap at $6500.
  • I think its great, 'we've always done it that way' is a bad reason to reject innovation/change.

I'm sure the plug could be removed by someone skilful enough to produce such a joint in the first place.

My only concern would be humidity, whilst not really a problem here, if it were in a very dry environment would it shrink enough to have a detrimental effect?
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Most people agree that bolt ons sound different to set necks, and set necks slightly different to neck throughs. Would these in turn sound slightly different? 

I like the Idea of all that surface area, cant do anything bad for the sustain surely? If they added glue to that, it wouldn't be any less likely to break, so why add it? 

I think I like it just because it is pretty to be honest.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Seems like a lot of very accurate cutting and routing is necessary. But fair dues to him...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33964
    ICBM said:
    Clever, but pointless really. Once the block has been driven in you can't get it apart any more easily than a standard glued joint.

If that was me I would use it to make a glued joint absolutely flawless rather than to avoid glue - that's what all the best cabinet-makers' joints do anyway... because old glues were not that strong, they're designed so the fit of the wood provides the strength and the glue just locks them into place.
    Agree.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    It's a lot of trouble to go to for such a short necked guitar.
    I sent it to a luthier mate and he said it is the same join that you extend house beams with.
    octatonic said:
    I sent it to a luthier mate and he said it is the same join that you extend house beams with.
    Check the video I posted in the first reply
    Ah, right yes. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    If the new-build house a chap who used to work for my dad bought was anything to go by, you extend house beams by tacking on another bit with a few six-inch nails.

:-O

He fixed it with some threaded steel studding and load plates if I remember correctly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein