Clearcoat aaaarrrrggghhhh

I suck at clear coating. specificaly on pedals. I'm pretty good at getting a decent colour down now but can't seem to crack the clear coats.

Everytime I've tried so far it ends up crinkly or lumpy and textured. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to have a go at the Envirotez stuff that Juan Solo uses but really want to be able to complete a passable spray can clear coat first.

I have a few enclosures on the go today again and will post some pics of my poor efforts when I'm finished.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like you are either using an incompatible clear coat and/or the clear coat is softening the colour and lifting it, causing it to crinkle.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    It happens even when I'm spraying straight onto bare aluminium enclosures which have been etched. I think I'll try a different brand just incase.

Any recommendations?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2016

What are you using currently?  I assume you mean that you are spraying colour coats fine too so it the issues not in the technique?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    If it's 'crinkling' then it is indeed a case of incompatible finishes. You might for example be putting a cellulose base over a synthetic base. Ironically you can do it the other way round, but if you don't know what your base is to start with it makes it difficult! Orange peel often means the mix is too thick, have you got your paint to room temperature? I presume you're using rattle cans.
    This stuff from B&Q.

http://www.diy.com/departments/valspar-clear-satin-sealer-spray-400ml/182968_BQ.prd

I didn't want to blame te product assuming it was my poor technique but I've applied dusted coats, really light coats, heavy coats and it never seems to apply properly.
    @Deadman I've been spraying in a conservatory with a radiator set to 17 degrees. Every coat I've tried has had very bad orange peel or textured in some way. I'll post pics of the current attempt when it has dried.
    Hmmm. I wouldn't blame your technique Adam. Is there an auto paint factor near you? Find one, pop in and buy their best rattle can of clear lacquer. Some of them do adjustable fan variants, with decent quality lacquer such as Glasurit or Standox. It will cost you more, but it'll be worth it.
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for that @Deadman id not considered an auto paints place before assuming they only really did stuff for spray guns etc. I'll head down next weekend and see what I can get.

What's the difference between 1k and 2k clear coat? These guys are near me and have both listed under aerosols.

http://www.motorpaint.co.uk/home.html
    edited February 2016
    That place looks ideal. It's quite simple; 1k is single pack, 2k is two-pack. You'll be wanting 1k (2k is paint base mixed with activator and is isocyanate laden, requiring EU reg local exhaust ventilation and breathing air). If you do visit, ask any questions you might have. You never know, you might start buying your base colours from there too. You honestly wont go wrong if you go this route. Let us know how you get on.
    Cheers I'll bounce down and see them next week.
    The other alternative is to buy a tin of cellulose lacquer of course. @SteveRobinson will be able to oblige. If all else fails, I'll do it for you ;)
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2016
    Every product I have tried by Valspar from spray to standard emulsion has been the biggest piece of shit I have ever used.  I can't quite make out how they can legally sell that stuff.  Times where I've needed to use clear can spray I have used Plastikote with zero issues.  Rustoleum also goes on well but the cans have a habit of clogging no matter what you do.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Was going to suggest Plastikote, can get it at Wilkinson. When I use to make master volume/lpad boxes I'd use plastikote in whatever colour and as the name suggests it dries like plastic so no need for a clear coat at all really.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    Use car cellulose rattle cans, a multitude of colours, either from auto paint suppliers or Halfords....auto suppliers tend to be more pricey, but there is generally more paint to thinners ratio, so it goes further..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thanks for the advice gents I'm going to head down to these guys next week and pick up some clear lacquer and I'll probably grab some colours while I'm there.

http://www.motorpaint.co.uk/home.html

I've planned out my next 10 pedals and all the parts have arrived now so as soon as I can crack this clear coating malarky I'll be getting them built.