SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

TRADED: FS/FT: Koch StudioTone XL Head 40watt REDUCTION

What's Hot
phase3phase3 Frets: 41
edited April 2016 in Amps £
I'm wrestling with this sale.... it's such an incredibly flexible little amp.  However i've just built ( rebuilt) something that i'm rather pleased with and due to an overload of amps at the moment...something has to go. 
It's minty condition, couple of scuffs on the foot switch and comes with fitted cover.

I'm looking for £550 inc shipping. ( UK) but would consider trades. No pointy guitars though ....

OK - outstanding features of the Koch IMO are:   4 x EL84= 40Watt ( just right)
Huge flexibility from CLEAN funk right through to marshally leads with most things in the middle include a very nice vox like chime. Clean-OD1 and OD1+ enables you to set up 3 very usable (gigable) sounds right off the footswitch.  FANTASTIC emulated record out - you can throw it straight into the desk with everything set flat ( on the desk) and it sounds - just like the amp!! ..funnily enough.  + speaker on/off ( very useful) + great effects loop & spring reverb. 

Here's how Koch list the features:
  • 4 xEL84 Tubes
  • 2 x 12AX7 preamp tubes
  • 1 x 12AX7LM preamp tube
  • 3 channels (clean, overdrive & overdrive boost) foot switchable and all with their own volume control
  • One set of passive bass-mid-treble tone controls
  • Two front-panel voicing switches (mid-shift 2 way, bright 3 way) for all channels
  • 4, 8 & 16 ohm speaker outputs plus speaker on/off switch
  • Serial effects loop (10 dBV signal level)
  • Recording output with speaker simulation and 2 voicing filters
  • Direct outputs (non-filtered, clean channel & headphone)
  • Short scale three spring reverb tank
  • 2 way footswitch included

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Amazing little amps these, I love my Studiotone XL combo, have a free bump from me sir :-)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    edited March 2016
    @phase3 Sounds a very versatile amp. I'm embarking on a Funk/Soul/R&B band and this could be the answer to my clean worries. Does it do good lead tones also? Marshall like you say?  What cab did you use it with or recommend etc?

Does it have a master volume too?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • VsPedalsVsPedals Frets: 3
    Those amps are amazing and very versatile, the best thing about those is that they handle pretty well every effect in front and in the loop, its a pedal machine. Also the emulated output is outstanding!
    We used the koch studiotone 22 combo for a couple of videos.

My intention here is to show the amp tone and not to advertise anything else.
    What puts me off though is there is no uk dealer. Who do you go to if you need repairs or help etc :(
  • phase3phase3 Frets: 41
    @hotpickups this is right up your street. The cleans are pristine and bags of headroom. There's a two position mid shift switch and 3 position bright switch , which means you can dial in anything you want with any guitar. I did some work occasionally with a similar funk/soul band and have used it and everyone remarked on how 'spanky' it was on clean - and what a massive solo sound. 
    The clean channel is just straight up- no master - stays clean up to about 6-7 then starts to get a bit hairy ( your drummers ears will be bleeding by now). Each OD channel has separate master and gain + there's a 3 position gain switch, so you can go from slightly hairy, to classic crunch to full on plexi style solos just with it's own footswtich. If you add a boost pedal you've got even more scope...and this amp LOVES pedals both in front and in the loop.  
    I've run it with 1x12 and 2x12.  My 2x12 has a G12 anniversary + A series and sounds fab!  My 1x12 usually has a Creamback 65M in it -- the amps works great with either.  Also, as mentioned the emulated out is superb so you could happily run with a 1x12 and bleed a bit into the desk. I don't think i've ever found such a versatile amp- that's so simple to dial! No need for mesa type complexity, you can just set everything a 12 o'clock and it sound great. 
    @hotpickups  - very straightforward amp - any decent engineer would have no probs. Koch themselves are very approachable, i asked them a couple of questions when i got it and they came straight back to me. The build quality is superb on them ... this is not a 'chinese' built amp. Koch is boutique standard.
    I don't think i mentioned it -- 2012 build so only 4 years old. I replaced the preamp valves - didn't need to, just felt like it. Power tubes are fine. 
    Still available
    bump
    friday night bump
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What puts me off though is there is no uk dealer. Who do you go to if you need repairs or help etc :(
    Project Music in Exeter is the UK dealer.
    I didn't see that . Thanks
    simonk;1001070" said:
    hotpickups said:

Project Music in Exeter is the UK dealer.
    Eased the price a bit ....might have my eye on something --on here...
    bump
    sunday bump
    No love for Koch? ....
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057
    phase3 said:
    No love for Koch? ....
    I suspect there is, but like me, I'd wager that many guys on here wouldn't stand a chance of getting that Koch in through the back door without their wives freaking out...

:D

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

Koch up!
    I am fighting with all the Koch jokes I want to post here .... I must resist ... I must resist ;)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited March 2016
    Edit. Made a Koch joke, probably not appropriate in a for sale thread. I checked out some youtube demos, this thing sounds brilliant! Have a free bump.
    Thanks for the bump ...yep it does sound brilliant .. on cleans and dirt.