SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Tone King Metropolitan (FS) Amp now TRADED

What's Hot
thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2831
edited April 2016 in Amps £

£1,850.  £1,750   £1,695  

Cost £2,350 new (when you could get them).

Obviously offers considered and might possibly trade for a Fender CS Strat - particularly a Michael Landau '63.  Collection from Ascot, Berkshire or Herefordshire preferred.  However, I can do "reasonable" travel etc.

When I bought this I was intending to buy an Imperial but the Metropolitan sounded way better to my ears, was much more versatile and could pretty much cover what the Imperial did.  The adjustable volumes for both channels make it great in gigging situations, but that's the rub, I just don't gig enough.  I did use it for one gig and I would describe it as in excellent condition (no marks or issues of any kind).  It's two years old and just seen light home use really. Mark Bartel makes each one individually but has stopped making these anymore (I don't know why).  He described the Metropolitan as "the finest amplifier ever produced by Tone King".  The attenuator and low gain switch make for great sounds at "bedroom" levels but its best when opened up a bit! 

SPECS
Output Power: 0.1W-40W Adjustable
Output Tubes: 6V6GT(x4), Cathode Biased
Preamp Tubes: 12AX7(x4), 12AT7
Footswitch: Has LED Indicators; controls chan sw & reverb 
Reverb: Tube-Driven, Full Size 3-Spring Pan
Rectifier Tube: 5AR4
Speaker: 1x12", Custom-Designed
Colour: Brown/Cream (Two-Tone)

A demo (but there are lots of good ones):

http://youtu.be/QwNM62TZ78I

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2831
    And it came to pass the Tone King Metropolitan did come among them and ventured unto Fretboardland.  And he was shunned and the people went about with false idols.  (Lazy J smagey J.)

Lo he declared, "I am the One.  I have come unto you.  I am the amp to end all amps".

And the people all scoffed and said "Nay, for this is not possible."

And a doubter cried out from the crowd and said, "Show us then. Show us a sign."

And the Metropolitan rang out with pristine cleans, with chime and depth and the people were amazed for this is headroom and they had never heard anything of the like.  Black Face had been fulfilled ten thousandfold.

And a second doubter came forth and said, "but show us Tweed, the edge of break-up - this you cannot do!"

And behold the Metropolitan pronounced forth in warmth and in richness and in grit and the people began to tremble and had visions they were amongst Keith and Ronnie.

And a third time a doubter approached.  This doubter had been sent to falsify, "You have tricked us for you cannot rock the soul.  Show us Marshall drive."  Knowing that many false idols had failed to be all things to all men.

And the Metropolitan did rock until they were in the Land of Plexi for it was tight and it it was mean and he did show them everything inbetween.  

And the people were astonished and laid down their false idols and sang out in unison, the Rockers and the Jazzers and the tribe of Country and Bluesmen and the tribe of Folk.  Metalmen and Punk and Grungers and those of Funk and of Soul.  "Yey, he has come among us.  He is the One." Let us seek him out."  For it was true that he was a rare thing.  And there was much praising.  For this really was the best amp anyone had ever heard.  

And from this time forth the threads did dry up in the amp discussions and instead great music filled the land.  And @57Deluxe did take his seat in heaven at the right hand side of the Metropolitan for he had spread the word and he was rewarded.

The lesson endeth.

10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Brilliant ! Amps don't come much better than a Tone King
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    great sermon !
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2479
    Amen
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    How long did it take you to write that posting @thebreeze lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Now I know why people are so keen to shoot @thebreeze .....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol'd @Gassage.  Sadly, @hotpickups this kind of drivel seems to come fairly easily.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    thebreeze said:
    And it came to pass the Tone King Metropolitan did come among them and ventured unto Fretboardland.  And he was shunned and the people went about with false idols.  (Lazy J smagey J.)

Lo he declared, "I am the One.  I have come unto you.  I am the amp to end all amps".

And the people all scoffed and said "Nay, for this is not possible."

And a doubter cried out from the crowd and said, "Show us then. Show us a sign."

And the Metropolitan rang out with pristine cleans, with chime and depth and the people were amazed for this is headroom and they had never heard anything of the like.  Black Face had been fulfilled ten thousandfold.

And a second doubter came forth and said, "but show us Tweed, the edge of break-up - this you cannot do!"

And behold the Metropolitan pronounced forth in warmth and in richness and in grit and the people began to tremble and had visions they were amongst Keith and Ronnie.

And a third time a doubter approached.  This doubter had been sent to falsify, "You have tricked us for you cannot rock the soul.  Show us Marshall drive."  Knowing that many false idols had failed to be all things to all men.

And the Metropolitan did rock until they were in the Land of Plexi for it was tight and it it was mean and he did show them everything inbetween.  

And the people were astonished and laid down their false idols and sang out in unison, the Rockers and the Jazzers and the tribe of Country and Bluesmen and the tribe of Folk.  Metalmen and Punk and Grungers and those of Funk and of Soul.  "Yey, he has come among us.  He is the One." Let us seek him out."  For it was true that he was a rare thing.  And there was much praising.  For this really was the best amp anyone had ever heard.  

And from this time forth the threads did dry up in the amp discussions and instead great music filled the land.  And @57Deluxe did take his seat in heaven at the right hand side of the Metropolitan for he had spread the word and he was rewarded.

The lesson endeth.

Amen. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    capo4th said:
    Brilliant ! Amps don't come much better than a Tone King
    ...shame they don't come a lot cheaper though....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 351
    Ooooh! Lovely, some great playing on the video demo too.  Shame I have nothing left to sell  ;) @thebreeze great chap to deal with GLWTS
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    And the keeper of the metropolitan was troubled, but he knew not why. And for ten times ten nights did sleep elude him and did his unquiet of mind plague him, though still he knew not why. And on the last night did come to him a vision, and that vision spake unto him saying, "it is easier to change pickups on a semi than for a rich man to sell an amp for a robust second hand price". And lo a revelation came to him, and he spake unto the vision, "Lord I am your humble servant, and in your honour I will give the metropolitan unto the first poor man I see out of my window at dawn. And yeah I will not even charge him carriage, though I will definitely ship, because it is really not that difficult".

And on the following morn he looked out over the fields, and saw a poor peasant tilling the earth. And he spake unto him saying, "what is your name". And the peasant said, "@kjdowd". And lo he gave unto him the Tone King, and would not accept money or token in recompense. And he lived happy to the end of his days.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    ^^^ Give the man the amp! ;)
    Look, in order to facilitate the path to the Kingdom of Heaven @kjdowd (and, of course, anyone who as seen The Light, and more importantly, heard the sound of the Angels) all offers will be considered.  Shipping could be on the table too but we'd need to think about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I wish! A fine FS thread though. Deserves a premium just for that. GLWTS.
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    I had the head version of this and the clean tone was amazing! GLWTS
    "the finest amplifier ever produced by Tone King"........
    Been in the wilderness for a while......

Some Easter Metropolitan goodness for you to enjoy with the price drop:

Greg Koch bafooning around but also explaining the joys of the Metropolitan

and although this is the Metropolitan head and cab I like this guys playing so let's enjoy:

Bump
    Bump