NGD - finally got myself a Taylor!

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Bought this 114CE from GAK earlier. They knocked the price down to 650 for me as well, because it's an older model with the now-discontinued pickup system which is being replaced soon. Still sounds nice plugged-in, and it's my first electro-acoustic so it's all a bit new to me anyway. It's so nice to have a good giggable acoustic at last. You can't go wrong with a Taylor really, can you? Amazingly consistent and nice-feeling guitars, even lower-priced ones like this.

Nice little bit of distinctive patterning in the grain behind the bridge too, I like that.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Love me a Taylor, I think for a predominantly electric player they can't be beaten.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Great investment - mine was anyhow.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
    I think taylor are underrated. I have a 816 n it's an outstanding guitar. Congrats
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I actually prefer the 1 series Taylors to most of the higher end ones, for some reason - not played a bad one yet!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    HNGD! I got a Big Baby about 10 years ago and I'm still totally happy with it.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 569
    More Taylor love . . . . Hmmmm amazing guitars . . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9709
    Congrats mate, and you hit the nail on the head... Consistency across all of the range.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    What's the one Lyndsey Buckingham plays? He makes it sound fab.
    Congrats, OP!

Hold on... new acoustic... new high-end electric on the horizon... what are you not telling us? ;) :)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Hold on... new acoustic... new high-end electric on the horizon... what are you not telling us? ;) :)
    Psssst, wanna buy some meth?

;)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    dindude;994112" said:
    Love me a Taylor, I think for a predominantly electric player they can't be beaten.
    As an electric guy, when I was looking for an acoustic to do some large stage touring type work I bought a Taylor 314ce. I run it through a Boss AD5.

It just works. Sounds great in a band mix. Doesn't go out of tune. Plays like buttah which is important when changing between electric and acoustic a lot and has good upper fret access.

Job done!

It's maybe not the warmest guitar to sit and fingerpick but I do enjoy it and we'll bleh, it really sounds great with the AD5 plugged in to a PA
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    johnonguitar;1030428" said:
    Doesn't go out of tune.
    Which sounds like a pretty fundamental requirement in any guitar - but amazing how rare it can be on a guitar straight out of the factory.

PRS electrics are similarly impressive in my experience - once you've stretched the strings, I hardly ever have to touch the tuning.

My 'behind the sofa' GS Mini is the same - seems to say in tune forever.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited April 2016
    [/quote]Which sounds like a pretty fundamental requirement in any guitar - but amazing how rare it can be on a guitar straight out of the factory.

PRS electrics are similarly impressive in my experience - once you've stretched the strings, I hardly ever have to touch the tuning.

My 'behind the sofa' GS Mini is the same - seems to say in tune forever.[/quote]

Lol yup. My Custom 24 doesn't budge either. Even when the strings are rusted and old.

I've literally had the Taylor come off of tiur trucks and airplanes into my hands able to do the first song without touching the machine heads (albeit a half step down when on the plane for safety!)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Nice! 

I've had a 814CE for some years now, lovely guitar.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    Nice one.

I've had a Big Baby Taylor with a Fishman Rare Earth HB pickup for close to 10 years and it still delivers. They may cut back on techniques and finishes on the lower -priced ones but NOT on the sound and playability.

Enjoy it C
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Folks seem to love them or find them utterly uninteresting. I love mine lots. Enjoy!