Adding an effects loop

I fancy adding one to my Ampmaker P1800 and wondered whether anyone had any suggestions as to a suitable kit?

There are lots and they vary considerably in price and complexity. I only need it to work with stomp boxes.

Does anyone have any knowledge about any of these?

This one is cheap.

This one's a lot more but seems similar.

And this one seems extremely complex.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Does the amp have a master volume?

If not, fitting an FX loop is fairly pointless, and completely so for pedal effects. If you can't put the effects after the amp's distortion, the only benefit would be to run line-level effects that don't work well in front of the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    ICBM;994664" said:

If not, fitting an FX loop is fairly pointless, and completely so for pedal effects
    Unless the loop does level attenuation and gain recovery, like this one: http://riotdevices.com/products/accessories/

I can recommend the company - I've had couple of those loops off them. He makes some nice pedals too.

R.
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 501
    No, it has VVR and lots of the distortion is power stage as a result. So I guess I might as well not bother then.

Thanks ICBM.
    ICBM;994664" said:

If not, fitting an FX loop is fairly pointless, and completely so for pedal effects
    Unless the loop does level attenuation and gain recovery, like this one: http://riotdevices.com/products/accessories/

I can recommend the company - I've had couple of those loops off them. He makes some nice pedals too.

R.
    That's a sweet looking thing. Is it of any use to me? At the very least, would it not allow me to use a clean boost pedal as a volume boost?
    edited March 2016
    That will work, but does nothing useful because the effects will still be pre-distortion if the amp doesn't have a master volume, because all or most of the distortion is coming from the power stage. You may as well save the bother and just put them in front of the amp.

FX loops only serve any real purpose to put effects after the amp's distortion.

There are even some amps *with* master volumes that don't get this right, most notoriously the Soldano SLO - the loop is in the preamp, before the stage that most produces the characteristic overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Fair enough.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    Yes, I was totally missing the point regarding MV.

You could get a Bad Cat Unleash :)

R.
    What's one of those then?
    edited March 2016
    A re-amplifying dummy load system. Unlike most attenuators which simply divide the amp's power between the speaker and a dummy load in a controllable ratio - and which inevitably affect the way the amp reacts with the speaker, so are notorious for taking away the 'life' from the sound (although that's a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion) - it works by sending all of the amp's power to the load, then reamplifying the signal with a separate power amp so the speaker is still seeing an *un*attenuated amp output, if that makes sense!

It also means you can break the signal path after the load and before the re-amp, and insert the effects there.

I have an 'Ultimate Attenuator' which is another variation on the dummy load/re-amp theme but doesn't have an FX loop… yet. I have been thinking of modding it exactly for that reason, using the Tube Town kit. The 'Ultimate Attenuator' is a piece of junk by the way, so don't buy one to do this unless you're prepared to completely rebuild it to make it safe and reliable.