Recommend a bright, inexpensive acoustic?

What's Hot
geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
edited March 2016 in Acoustics
Hi all,

I'll be looking to buy an acoustic in a couple of months and would be interested in hearing your opinions on guitars that fit my preferences below.

Tone:
I like bright, slightly "jangly" tones, and I'm going to be playing most with someone who has quite a bassy acoustic so it'd be good to have something that complements it. Pickup/preamp and tuner would be a plus but not essential.

Playability:
My electrics all have low action so I like the idea of an acoustic with relatively low action. I would also prefer a single cutaway for easy access to higher frets.

Budget:
Approx £250-£400, might be able to stretch to £500 but it would have to be a fantastic guitar to persuade me to part with that much as most of my playing is electric.

I like the Godin A6 but this is a bit out of my budget. I can't justify spending more than £500 for something that'll get played a few times a month.

I'm happy to buy a good condition used or new.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Apart from the lack of cutaway, it sounds like you need a Taylor GS Mini.
  • Thanks, that's definitely one that seems to crop up a lot!

At a slightly lower price point, any thoughts on the Yamaha APX500/700, the Ibanez AEG24ii or Takamine GX18ce?
  • Bright and jangly - use a thin plectrum. A .60 or .50 for strumming, even thinner if you like. It will sound noticeably more jangly and less bassy than a thicker pick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Yamaha APX, whichever is the best model you can afford. All the bright and thin you will ever need, and usually have a nice low electric-like action. (Or can be set up to make it so.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7894
    Apart from the lack of cutaway, it sounds like you need a Taylor GS Mini.
    Agreed, the spruce model is clear and crisp
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31135
    I was about to suggest the APX.

If you google, you can get blow outs on the discontinued ones- like the APX1000

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=APX1000&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=zmbdVvLFGaSiyAPnvLm4BQ#q=APX1000&tbm=shop

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Thanks all.

What's the consensus on the spruce Baby Taylor? I think that's the BT1.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31135
    Thanks all.

Depends on what you want it for; if you're going to play live and di or amp, the Yamaha's are a much better bet.

If you just want a grab n go strummer, BT1

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    Thanks all.

I've owned a Baby Taylor and when you get past the initial enthusiasm after purchase what you are left with a poor quality guitar which looks like it was thrown together. 
    you'd be better off with a L series Yamaha with the passive piezo which is just within budget.