90's Jap Squier Strat - Mod or Sell?

I'm having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I have an early 90's M serial Japanese Squier Strat and I enjoy playing it, the neck feels quite chunky to me which feels good. However I'm getting the feeling that the electronics might benefit from an upgrade... and maybe the tuners... and maybe the trem.  By which time I've probably spent far more on the upgrades than the guitar itself.

So would you upgrade it or sell it and then just go and look for a better quality strat (classic player maybe?) that doesn't need all the bits changing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 421
    I've got a 1986 Japanese Squier. The trem and tuners were fine but pickups and electrics were crap so I upgraded those.

Fantastic guitar. I bought it for £80 and I think the pickups were just under £100 second hand - Kinmans. Possibly my favourite guitar now. Wonderful neck.
  • ^ Yeah it's the neck that is going to swing it if I decide to keep it around and upgrade it.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    If it were me and I like the body and neck, I would modify to taste, but keep all the parts I remove, then if I decide to sell it on I can return it to standard and sell or recycle the new parts....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• randellarandella Frets: 4384
    I'm with the others here, if I liked the neck I'd keep it.  Especially if the body's good too and the neck/body joint is solid - for me, that joint's worth everything on a Strat.  A kosher Fender 6-screw bridge and a set of pickups would surely cost less than a Classic Player?

I've had a Japanese (Fender) '68 reissue Strat from new, pencilled 1989 on the neck heel, and every time I look at it I'm struck by how well made it is.  Especially when you consider some of the absolute dreck coming out of Fullerton in the years preceding it.  I've played a few MIMs which are fine, fine guitars but to me just don't have the quality of the early Fender Japan stuff.

Dunno, just my tuppence worth :)