Refretting with stainless steel - pitfalls?

What's Hot
I've got a cheap no-mark neck which I want to refret - maple fretboard - as it has a lovely profile, like a bastard child of a Fender modern-C and a Wizard II.  I want to make it look nice for a project I've got in mind.  I've nipped the old frets out with no chipping; they weren't glued, and the board looks tidy.  I've pulled the plastic dot markers out and am gluing in some abalone it their place.  It'll be sanded to a 9.5" radius.

So far so good.

What do I need to look out for when installing SS frets? I know:

- they'll blunt my tools pretty quickly
- the frets shouldn't be radiused MUCH tighter than the board before installing

Anything else glaring that I've missed?

Any tips appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    They will also destroy your strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    Are you wanting to install SS Frets just out of curiosity, or do you have a specific reason for using them?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Are you wanting to install SS Frets just out of curiosity, or do you have a specific reason for using them?

The specific reason was solely that I'm one of those players who can destroy frets just by looking at them and SS has a rep for lasting a bit longer. I wussed out in the end and went trad nickel silver, the job went relatively smoothly, pleased I avoided the tougher stuff.
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I don't think they will 'destroy your strings'.  I've got guitars with ss frets and not had any problems with my strings!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    richh said:
    I don't think they will 'destroy your strings'.  I've got guitars with ss frets and not had any problems with my strings!
    When I borrowed a Guitar with SS frets the strings lasted half the time they did usually.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Destroying strings probably is more a technique thing exacerbated by the stainless steel frets. I've had two Parker Fly's and never had any issue whatsoever with strings being prematurely knackered
  • You get a slightly more zingy string noise sound in my opinion when you have a low action and the strings vibrate against the frets - I found this with suhrs however I can't say it is any thing other than a difference and definitely not a problem