Modding my Jaguar

What's Hot
TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
edited March 2016 in Making & Modding
Have had this guitar for a good while now and whilst i've always loved the look of it, it has never really played, or sounded right for me personally. 

I'm very lucky in the fact that I was given this guitar by an incredible friend and as such it only seemed right to try and accumulate parts to replace the week links. 

I've been amassing the parts for a little while now and finally found some time on Friday to get to work. 

Friday night: 

All parts were secondhand and supplied by the fine frequenters of this very parish: Pickups are a set of Lollar for Jaguar from @andrewaward
bridge is a staytrem from @jellybelly and the buzz stop is from @meltedbuzzbox. all superb to deal with, thank you again chaps! :) 

After a couple of hours, of, well mainly drinking red wine if i'm honest, the result was this:

I managed to plug it in for the first time briefly this afternoon and have to say that, unsurprisingly, the pickups sound fantastic. the bridge is a huge step up from standard, & much better than the mustang bridge that I had previous added. The buzz stop is great for increasing break angle which is really all I wanted it for. All in all very happy. 
Next things to do are to replace the pots as they are pretty poor (or better still all the wiring and switches with better quality ones, does anyone do a drop in loom for Jaguars?) and i'm still looking for a tort pick guard as well.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    looks good sir. 
    I wouldn't tort it though, it looks great as it is. I really like that daphne/sonic blue. 

The jap switches (I am guessing thats a jap model) are actually great, the sit taller than the switchcraft ones.
    I personally prefer them. 
    I wouldn't worry too much about replacing all the wiring (maybe the pots(maybe move to 500k)) 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I know the tort guards are marmite on a guitar of this colour and I might well agree once I have one to try. I'd still like to try though ;) 
    Yep Jap this one. & looking at 500k pots now :) 

Someone had previously fitted what I guess was a strat pickup of some kind in the bridge position too but they had routed the body (by hand, very badly!) to make it fit.. poor thing. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73042
    You probably won't be able to buy a Jaguar loom, it's a massively complicated thing.

Just change the pots and the jack - the switches are actually quite decent, and with a MIJ ones you can rewire them to give both pickups in series instead of 'both off', which is a very useful extra sound, as well as avoiding the accidental-mute probably when in full thrash mode ;).

You will have to ream out the plate to take full-size US parts, and you'll need new knobs - those MIJ ones look nasty anyway, when you're familiar with the real ones. (Get plain-shaft pots, which the proper knobs fit on.)

The roller pots are fine, don't bother changing those either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good shout on wiring to series. Makes a lot of sense.

Also agree on the knobs. I've got some genuine 60's jazzmaster ones around here somewhere which will go on when I find them!! (And replace the pots) :)
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    That Jag is bloody gorgeous!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    It is a lovely looking thing, despite the buzz stop making me want to cry little tears of hate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I know that again the buzz stops are controversial for some. I just wanted to see what difference it made, having owned 5 offsets now and never used one. Is it making a descernalbale difference/improvement? Not sure just yet, haven't played it in anger. To be fair it's a ten second job to remove if it's not for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Trotter said:
    Have had this guitar for a good while now and whilst i've always loved the look of it, it has never really played, or sounded right for me personally. 

I'm very lucky in the fact that I was given this guitar by an incredible friend and as such it only seemed right to try and accumulate parts to replace the week links. 

I've been amassing the parts for a little while now and finally found some time on Friday to get to work. 

Friday night: 

All parts were secondhand and supplied by the fine frequenters of this very parish: Pickups are a set of Lollar for Jaguar from @andrewaward
    bridge is a staytrem from @jellybelly and the buzz stop is from @meltedbuzzbox. all superb to deal with, thank you again chaps! :) 

After a couple of hours, of, well mainly drinking red wine if i'm honest, the result was this:

I managed to plug it in for the first time briefly this afternoon and have to say that, unsurprisingly, the pickups sound fantastic. the bridge is a huge step up from standard, & much better than the mustang bridge that I had previous added. The buzz stop is great for increasing break angle which is really all I wanted it for. All in all very happy. 
    Next things to do are to replace the pots as they are pretty poor (or better still all the wiring and switches with better quality ones, does anyone do a drop in loom for Jaguars?) and i'm still looking for a tort pick guard as well.

I'm suprised you need a buzzstop with a Staytrem bridge, what's the reasoning for that? 
    @jonnygreentrees as stated above, purely because I have had loads of offsets now and never tried one. I wanted to make my own mind up about them.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    That looks really nice.  I suspect it sounds great too!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yup, that's all they are good for, for my style of playing @gassage :)