Advice on Recording Some Solo Acoustic + Vocal Videos

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
edited March 2016 in Studio & Recording
OK, total recording novice here, apologies if this covers well-worn ground in this sub-forum, as I don't normally frequent the arcane world of recording.

In a nutshell: I want to record some videos of me doing a few tunes on acoustic guitar - just me playing and singing along.
They do not need to be pro- quality, but they need to have a home-made charm about them and be clear - NOT "dodgy mobile phone from a distance at a gig" quality.

I do not have a home recording set-up, nor the money to invest in one...This is what I DO have at my disposal:

Laptop (with webcam built-in)
iPad
iPhone
Basic Wavelab audio editing software
Audacity software
Zoom H2 handheld recorder
Full live PA (including mics)
Basic Canon digital camera that takes halfway decent video footage.

What I am thinking is I would like to be able to take the audio as a separate feed - I have worked out I can record audio directly into Audacity (or other programe) on the laptop using the Zoom as a microphone only. Then I can take a basic video from either the iPad, iPhone or Canon, and using some kind of video editing software I can match up the audio and video, rather than using the inbuilt mic on the iPad/iPhone/ Canon. I would also like to add a few basic video effects too, such as title screen, maybe add in footage from another camera/ video source.

Bottom line is I need to make the best of what resources I have as I have close to zero budget for additional kit...Maybe I could stretch to a basic USB mic if it will make a significant difference and can be bought by a pauper.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pitfalls to look out for etc for a total novice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited March 2016
    That Zoom will be fine for what you want. It'll make it easier if you use something like a clap before you start performing - then use that to sync up audio and video.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    You only need the H2 and the video camera to make a decent video. Sync them on your computer later and add title screens etc.

I think it's crucial to decide how you want the video to look. Is it an indoor/outdoor thing? Is the video camera static on a stand? or someone holding it? The key to a good video is enough light.

Here are 2 different videos that I set up with friends. My set up is as simple as yours. Great fun and I'm pleased with the results of both. Feel free to throw me any questions. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Thanks both for your comments - Apprciated!

Branshen said:
    I think it's crucial to decide how you want the video to look. Is it an indoor/outdoor thing? Is the video camera static on a stand? or someone holding it? The key to a good video is enough light.

Great advice... I hadn't even thought about WHERE to film it - I was thinking about what I will wear, how I will sit etc..I assumed I'd have some kind of backdrop of sorts but filming outside could be a neat angle...Hmm, some real food for thought there...

Branshen said:

Here are 2 different videos that I set up with friends. My set up is as simple as yours. Great fun and I'm pleased with the results of both. Feel free to throw me any questions. 
    These are exactly the kind of thing I am after! Love them both.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Probably more than you asked for but this short video will help out with the video aspect. It's a short and sweet tutorial on lighting.