Strat pickup questions

Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3119
edited March 2016 in Making & Modding
I'm doing a bit of a pickup merry-go-round on a couple of guitars at the moment and have a couple of questions. 

1. I have a set of single coil pickups that came out of a Squier strat. They've been in my parts box for a while and I've just realised that I'm not sure if one of them is a reverse wound/middle pickup. Is there any way to tell if a pickup is reverse wound (visully or with a multimeter?). One of th pickups has white on the bar magnet, the other two are black, would this indicate a reverse wound one? 

2. Secondly, I have a pair of Schaller s6 vintage single coils that I wouldn't mind trying in the neck and middle pickup positions in a strat. I assume they are both wound the same way, so apart from losing the hum cancelling properties, is there any other issue with having a non reversed wound pickup in the middle position?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Obviously there are far more experienced folk here than I, but if I have this right the middle pickup will have the 2 coloured wires(black and white?) on opposite sides to the neck and bridge.
    And to check polarity stack the pickups on top of each other, a reverse polarity should repel the others.
    I'm sure the experts will correct me and educate in one easy stroke soon enough!
    :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    Re the Schaller pickups, it appears they only have one choice of S6, so probalby not a reverse wound option, I think early Fenders were the same, I think you have nothing to lose giving them a try.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    I've never liked the hum cancelling mid pickup thing as it only highlights the hum that is there when it's not on. Also, the reverse wound middle pickup always sounds a bit weaker than otherwise.

So no, no real issue, all my strats have non reverse winding, and sound great.