Harley Benton power supplies - any good?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5100
Anyone got any experience of the Harley Benton power supplies from Thomann? They do one that looks like a copy of the T Rex Fuel Tank Junior for a quarter of the price. Although disappointingly it's not red...
260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have one on my board for the last 4 years and it sits right next to my T-Rex fuel tank junior. Goes toe to toe with it.

Never had any issues and is a steal at the price. Jump right in mate!
  • I've got one of the PowerPlant Juniors. No problems at all. You will have to fit a UK plug on it though. (The mains cable wiring is the same colours as standard UK wiring so it's not difficult). Also, the y-cable is a current doubler cable - some sources state it's a voltage doubler - it's not, but you can make up a voltage doubler (for 18V) fairly simply if you need it.
  • Cheers guys, sounds good!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    I have 2 x powerplant junior, works very well
    just received a full powerplant, it is going back - a severe ground loop hum, when plugging in the first pedal
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    I've got one of the PowerPlant Juniors. No problems at all. You will have to fit a UK plug on it though. (The mains cable wiring is the same colours as standard UK wiring so it's not difficult).
    I just use an adaptor. I'm not convinced I don't get extra noise that way, though :))

I should probably add the first one of mine was faulty (and I think one of the outputs on my newer one has died too). But thomann is pretty good with replacements normally "don't even have to send it back" type thing. Though if you were in a situation like a gig where you couldn't afford to have it fail, easy returns are probably scant consolation...

Thanks for the info on the wiring, too. I've been putting off doing it (though I could practise on the faulty one first), if it really is that straightforward I might give it a shot.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1690
    I bought one and it was awful. Really noisy. Even the box itself emitted a buzz!

Don't be fooled by the nice big colourful box. It doesn't have a toroidal transformer or isolated outputs or any of that good stuff. The box is all but empty!

I now have a decibel11 hot stone deluxe which is great.
  • DannyP;105836" said:
    I bought one and it was awful. Really noisy. Even the box itself emitted a buzz!

Don't be fooled by the nice big colourful box. It doesn't have a toroidal transformer or isolated outputs or any of that good stuff. The box is all but empty!

The model I have is based on the T- rex fuel tank junior and it does have isolated outputs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The HB Powerplant Junior does have isolate outputs.

The larger HB Powerplant doesn't have isolated outputs (at least as regards the 9Vdc outputs).
  • steamabacus;106074" said:
    The HB Powerplant Junior does have isolate outputs.

The larger HB Powerplant doesn't have isolated outputs (at least as regards the 9Vdc outputs).
    They're the same as the T-Rex versions. The fuel tank isn't isolated either but the transformer is better quality. Less likely to vibrate!

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    i had the bigger one for about 3 weeks, it couldnt hack the pace. Added a lot of noise and i thought the build was a bit rough. Its also quite big and bulky in comparison to some other units.

The newer smaller one is very good though, i havent used one myself but a friend has one, it seems to be much quieter and better designed.

Worth checking out the Palmer one too, very clean.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1690
    Fortheloveofguitar;105983" said:
    [quote="DannyP;105836"]I bought one and it was awful. Really noisy. Even the box itself emitted a buzz!

The model I have is based on the T- rex fuel tank junior and it does have isolated outputs.[/quote]
    steamabacus;106074" said:
    The HB Powerplant Junior does have isolate outputs.

I can confirm it was the big one that I had.