What's Hot

Comments

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    I have the TC corona.

Don't have much exp. with other boxes but can't fault the corona
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited March 2016
    eh small clone dependable for general purposes, nanos are cheap and not so far from the original tone.
    i prefer the clone theory as am more into extreme, but it's a partiicular taste. i built my clone theory from the lectric fx celeste pcb, which has a 15v modulation section, lfo 9v, so you get the same headroom as the 1970s vintage models. but to be honest, the modern nano version is not so bad for off the self.

have never rated boss for chorus. too clinical. but many swear by the ce-2 which is still widely available and cheap.

if you like the sea machine but can't justify the ticket, consider doug deeper's midfi deluxe pitch pirate, that is really lush and get some really nice cocteau twins early 1980s tones. a lot of shimmer, if you want that underwater thing. it's a much underrated effect. he's an underrated effect designer-builder who should be better known outside the diy community. eqd deserve their reputation too obviously.
    "be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The CE-3 never gets the love it deserves
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TitchTitch Frets: 46
    An often overlooked chorus is Visual Sound either as a stand alone chorus or in the H20 pedal (chorus on one side delay/echo on the other)

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    TC SCF, obviously. 

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    ThorpyFX;1012397" said:
    I have had probably every bloody chorus going at some point.

My favourite compact ones are the; mr black double chorus, analog man chorus with deep switch. Large chorus wise I love the moog chorus flange and the roger Mayer voodoo vibe plus. Budget wise you cannot beat the arion stereo chorus especially the fat version.
    I sold my Analogman chorus with depth swith when I picked up a TC SCF.. Really missed the Analogman, so I picked up a non depth swith version.. Never really took to it like the other pedals.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ok...thats all very helpful.

the only thing that's put me off the CE2 is the price is bit high here...and I jsut assume later clones are better in some way

The Small clone i really like the sound of, but i've heard that they can be a bit noisy, which im not keen on.

TC Corona...its functional and has everything, but i've always found TC products to be a little toneless...as in, they dont colour the tone at all...it all comes down to personal preference, but i like pedals that actually add some of their own character to the tone.

The Dimension DC2 demo i watched was great...nice sounds and stupid proof! question...is there a catch with these pedals? like, do some versions add noise, or require a weird powering requirement, do the switches go bad after this many years of use etc etc?

@Juansolo I might take you up on that offer...but see my comments on the small clone above...does the clone circuit correct those issues? I also noticed that yours has a knob for the depth rather than the switch...which is my preference.

The Minimoog does sound pretty cool, and I love the demo of it. That along with the sea machine, double chorus, and Julia are my top choices...all of these would have to be bought new.

Final questions...has anyone got a view on the Way Huge Hippo mark II???

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6166
    Moss said:
    It sounds very good in stereo but in mono I found it a bit lacking somehow. I have a theory that they were so fixated on doing a stereo pedal that they forgot that most people use it in a mono format.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    JezWynd said:
    Moss said:
    It sounds very good in stereo but in mono I found it a bit lacking somehow. I have a theory that they were so fixated on doing a stereo pedal that they forgot that most people use it in a mono format.
    I only ever use mine in stereo - I did find that plugging into output B helps, though
    Stop crying, start buying
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited March 2016
    samzadgan said:

@Juansolo I might take you up on that offer...but see my comments on the small clone above...does the clone circuit correct those issues? I also noticed that yours has a knob for the depth rather than the switch...which is my preference.

It's an old EHX, they have a tendency to be noisy. It's not one of the worst by any means (the Bad Stone can be WAY noisier), but it's there.

If it gets dropped into a new box, I'm sure going back to a switch would be no problem. Though I really would recommend keeping it as a pot, it's way more useable with it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Another vote for the dc2 - mine isn't going anywhere. The ce2 is also great though.

I also like the ibanez cs9 - that's a pedal I shouldn't have sold.
  • FretKingFretKing Frets: 53
    Jacques Meistersinger Analogue Chorus...mine is for sale (a spare by the way, none mentioned here beats 'em!)...

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    samzadgan said:
    ok...thats all very helpful.

the only thing that's put me off the CE2 is the price is bit high here...and I jsut assume later clones are better in some way

The Small clone i really like the sound of, but i've heard that they can be a bit noisy, which im not keen on.

TC Corona...its functional and has everything, but i've always found TC products to be a little toneless...as in, they dont colour the tone at all...it all comes down to personal preference, but i like pedals that actually add some of their own character to the tone.

The Dimension DC2 demo i watched was great...nice sounds and stupid proof! question...is there a catch with these pedals? like, do some versions add noise, or require a weird powering requirement, do the switches go bad after this many years of use etc etc?

The Minimoog does sound pretty cool, and I love the demo of it. That along with the sea machine, double chorus, and Julia are my top choices...all of these would have to be bought new.

Final questions...has anyone got a view on the Way Huge Hippo mark II???

yes the wh hippo mkii is lovely.... A ce2 in different clothes....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    hmm...I just found a CE2 MIT for $80...and a MIJ one for $300...there's also a Hippo MkII for $190.

thinking i might for for the MIT CE2...worst case scenario i try it and if i dont like it i flip it.
    juansolo;1013321" said:
    samzadgan said:

It's an old EHX, they have a tendency to be noisy. It's not one of the worst by any means (the Bad Stone can be WAY noisier), but it's there.

If it gets dropped into a new box, I'm sure going back to a switch would be no problem. Though I really would recommend keeping it as a pot, it's way more useable with it.
    Oh yeah, i would prefer the knob over the switch.

As for the noise is there anyway of eliminating it when your putting it in the new box?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I love the Microchorus, but as you don't the Digitech Multichorus is very good.
    Either that or one of the Boss CE series.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29056
    samzadgan said:

No noise issues that I know of, it takes a standard 9v battery or PSU and I've not heard of switch problems.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    Mines an MIT. General consensus when cork sniffing is bypassed is that there is no difference. I say go for it.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited March 2016
    samzadgan said:

No noise issues; no catch.  My DC-2 was bought new and I gigged it weekly till I replaced it with the Behringer clone cos I was getting sentimental about the Boss.  No problems at all with the Boss -- it's still going strong.  And the Behringer clone is so similar that you would only be paying for the mojo of the old Boss.  My Behringer clone must've done a couple of hundred gigs and has no problems either.

As it happens I've recently been gigging with an old CE-2 but that's just cos I wanted a change on the board.