Applying a Wudtone finish

What's Hot

Just about to do my first Wudtone finish this is the look I'm going for (nicked from the Wudtone site), a couple of questions.

Firstly does anyone know exactly what finish that is?  And secondly, how do I do the front and back at the same time?  Do I suspend the body or just do one side and turn it over?  Do I leave to cure before turning over?

Cheersimage

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    @andypwudtone. One for you I think
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    Hang it from something - we used a screw through one of the neck screw holes - then you can do an even coat all the way around.

That colour looks to be satin Amber - but bear in mind that the natural colour and grain of the wood will have a huge effect on how it turns out - garbage in, garbage out.

Wudtone is great :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thanks both - I'm going in :)
  • shaunyshaun1234shaunyshaun1234 Frets: 286
    edited March 2016

I screwed a nice block of wood into the neck cutout and screwed directly into that. Nice handle to turn it round with etc.

The finish does look like amber, heres my effort :- http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/50775/first-proper-partscaster-finished/p2    (scroll down to the last post)

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thanks for the tip, and yours in Amber looks lovely!
  • John_A;1020746" said:
    Thanks for the tip, and yours in Amber looks lovely!
    Cheers mate!

Also make sure the first coat of wudtone is a good one to get the colour right down I to the grain! In my experience, if the first coat isn't nice and thick,the colour dowant get any more intense!

• John_A said:

Just about to do my first Wudtone finish this is the look I'm going for (nicked from the Wudtone site), a couple of questions.

Firstly does anyone know exactly what finish that is?  And secondly, how do I do the front and back at the same time?  Do I suspend the body or just do one side and turn it over?  Do I leave to cure before turning over?

Cheersimage

Hi @John_A  yes this is Amber and also with a satin ageing top coat. Thank you and let me knwo if you need any more help. kind regards
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I bookmarked this thread as I was about to start my own Tele build in Dairy Blonde.

I wasn't sure how many base/colour coats to put on (I did pose the question on the Wudtone forum but after nearly a week without a response I gave up on there!) so settled at four, waiting forty eight hours between each coat, as it really didn't seem to be absorbing any more.

I'm now on the third ageing extra gloss top coat, again leaving it forty eight hours between coats, and am wondering how many it wants/needs.  I'm not in too much of a hurry, I just want to try and do it properly.

Any advice from those that have completed theirs would be much appreciated. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at the link below, it shows how I used Dairy Blonde on a Tele.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Cheers @GSPBASSES. I'm not expecting a poly kind of shine, I actually quite like the shiny satin thing. Mine is a couple of stages behind yours. This is my first go at this and I'm usually not very patient so putting a fair bit of effort into it. What I don't have the experience to tell is  'how much is enough'. A few more I suspect. and then the wait for it to cure so I can put it all together.........
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    @TTony might be able to help, He's used it on a few builds, including IIRC a tele in the same colour
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28005
    Richardj said:
    I bookmarked this thread as I was about to start my own Tele build in Dairy Blonde.
    Funny you should say that ... this one is from a while back;

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @TTony, nice. That's fairly shiny, how many top coats did you use and did you buff it?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28005
    Richardj said:
    @TTony, nice. That's fairly shiny, how many top coats did you use and did you buff it?
    Did I buff it - No.  

And how many top coats - I really don't remember.  My approach is generally to keep going until I either get bored, or it looks how I want it to.  There's probably 3-4 coats of the colour in there, with maybe 2-4 coats of the satin top coat.  I can't see that I'd have done less than that, but I'd probably also get bored if I tried to do any more.

I was looking for the build thread, but can't find it.

This is its sister.  Same wood (ash), same Dairy Blonde finish, and pretty similar outcome.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.