James Bay live. Hmm.

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
edited April 2016 in Music
Been a fan of this kid for about a year. What a strange experience this gig at Hammersmith last night was. Perhaps the first in all my years that i have really enjoyed for an hour or so before having a sudden U-turn and within another half an hour really badly wanting to leave. I was probably alone in that. All the 20-somethings down the front seemed to be adoring him, as demanded. And there's the problem. 

I think he writes terrific pop/rock songs, a couple of them really quite affecting, and that choon-packed album of his is one of the most consistently good I've heard in a while. Live, he is terribly safe, choreographed and humourless, yet all the while posing pigeon-toed and throwing cocksure little shapes like the proper rock star he just isn't. I've seen a few of the great live acts over the years and this lad doesn't have it. 

Last year I saw Ryan Adams at the same venue. He was edgy, funny, unpredictable and brilliant and sounded magnificent. Bay is a sanitised, safe pop star marketing himself essentially at young women. Fair enough. It's a living. But it seems to me he wants so much to be more than that and it's disappointing, I guess, with the songwriting talent he has, and a decent voice, for him to settle for being Harry Styles with cheekbones, a trilby and a vintage Epiphone. 

(Note to self...must buy a Tone King Sky King)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573

Interesting. I have a bit of a mixed view on him. I like the album but find some of the songs just a little too resolved and safe, no edge at all. But then, something like Scars is sublime, and the guitar tone and minamilist playing a real revelation.

But, it does need to be a few more steps removed from commercial pop-pap to be really credible IMO.

I had the album playing the other day, can't remember which song, and the wife said "are you listening to Justin Bieber!!!?" that kinda said something about how it could be percieved.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Interesting.

I have to admit he's always made me think he's Harry Styles' cooler older brother who took a while longer to get famous.

That's not as much of a put-down as it probably sounds - I really like the album and what I've seen of him playing live on TV, I like his songs and his voice, and I love his guitar playing and tone.

But like you I do have slight reservations that he isn't quite 'full on' enough. I don't know why exactly.

(And I quite like One Direction too :-O.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I like him on TV (and on that pedal show) but the need to bland out what he does on record makes him less interesting to me. I think I would enjoy the bluesy James Bay live rather than the polished version, but I guess his fan base like that and that's what he gave.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    When the first album appears nobody knows for sure if we are looking at an Adele.....or a Duffy.

His album is very good and the back story looks solid and genuine. If he can produce another two great albums I would think that will will trump the mis-steps along the way, which might include him getting a bit carried away with the fame thing.

JohnPerry's review and thoughts are interesting. Thanks for posting.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Skipped said:
    When the first album appears nobody knows for sure if we are looking at an Adele.....or a Duffy.

That's very true, but I also find it quite depressing that we too often pigeon hole people by their audience. I remember first hearing Ed Shearan's first album so going out and buying it, but as time goes on I see him more and more as someone playing to teenage girls and it can make you feel disassociated with the band (me not being a teenage girl!)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka;1023145" said:
    Skipped said:

That's very true, but I also find it quite depressing that we too often pigeon hole people by their audience. I remember first hearing Ed Shearan's first album so going out and buying it, but as time goes on I see him more and more as someone playing to teenage girls and it can make you feel disassociated with the band (me not being a teenage girl!)
    My son and his girlfriend went to see Ed. They thought he was great but at 19 felt amongst the oldest there. Although, TBH, I saw Iron Maiden when I was in my twenties and remember thinking I was one of the oldest there for that.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    I've been one of the youngest at gigs lately.. I went with my Dad to see Duane Eddy and I was the youngest by at least 25 years.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I've been one of the youngest at gigs lately.. I went with my Dad to see Duane Eddy and I was the youngest by at least 25 years.
    Same when I went to see Scotty Moore a few years back.

Worse, last year I went to see an Allman Brothers tribute band a couple of guys I know play in… although not by 25 years, I was noticeably the youngest person there and I'm 48.

It's an ageing scene for those of us who like this old-time music. It's beginning to remind me of my dad and his friends going to see jazz bands when I was young :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    None of us are getting any younger.
    What you have to be really wary of is those Dad Dancing at a Wedding moments. 

I think Peter Frampton is getting too close for comfort.  :-O  :-O  :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RyXfjjOfg

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I had James Bay come through a tiny 300-at-a-push capacity basement venue I used to run sound for, getting on for two years ago. I was blown away, he was obviously set for bigger things but I didn't realise how quickly it was going to happen. His voice was incredible. Also a lovely bloke, as was everyone in his touring party. His sound guy at the time is now his TM and they've pretty much kept the same crew around. I think it's all well deserved to be honest, although I can imagine it translates better in a sweaty basement gig than an enormo-dome.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    ..although much of his songwriting is actually done by a friend of mine.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    James Bay is emperor's new clothes for me.  Everyone seems to rave about him, from tweenies to guitar magazines, but I just see and hear a whiny, suffocatingly bland bloke in a hat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    lasermonkey;1023927" said:
    ..although much of his songwriting is actually done by a friend of mine.
    That's interesting. Can you reveal more

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    It's no secret- look at the songwriting credits and you'll see a certain Iain Archer on many of the songs. The same Iain Archer that co-wrote a whole load of Jake Bugg songs. Personally, I think his own material is miles better, especially the Magnetic North and To The Pine Roots albums.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    James was on MOTD last night sat next to Rooney and not recognised by the commentator.
  • gazzaukgazzauk Frets: 36
    edited April 2016

Worse, last year I went to see an Allman Brothers tribute band a couple of guys I know play in… although not by 25 years, I was noticeably the youngest person there and I'm 48.

It's an ageing scene for those of us who like this old-time music. It's beginning to remind me of my dad and his friends going to see jazz bands when I was young :(.
    Exactly my thought the other night, playing in a pub to a bunch of 'older' pissed up punters. It was an enjoyable night in a nice boozer  but I had this nagging worry that we really are coming to the end.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1398
    Philly_Q;1023963" said:
    James Bay is emperor's new clothes for me.  Everyone seems to rave about him, from tweenies to guitar magazines, but I just see and hear a whiny, suffocatingly bland bloke in a hat.
    Biggest wis ever!
    How very rock and roll
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    edited April 2016
    Apologies if posted elsewhere...a sitdown with Bay and Lee Anderton. It's too long, but interesting enough about his songs and gear and such. (Crowther Hotcake, analogman, hamstead, victory and Tone King content, not to mention word of the inevitable Epiphone James Bay Century reissue). And some decent noodling. 

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1398
    I saw that too @JohnPerry. I didn't find it too long. It got a bit wandering in places but I quite like how informal he keeps these interviews. Which by the way I think are great. Lee comes accross brilliant in all of them so far. Fun but he can really get some decent questions in.

I agree with most of the comments above in that I'm not a huge fan of James but again he comes accross wel in this. Still hasn't changed my Mind though
    How very rock and roll
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    edited April 2016
    I too am a little unsure of my overall opinion - I don't usually care that much whether the artists are nice guys who give good interviews, if they are interesting that's a bonus but I prefer to find that out once I've got into the music first. Like others have said I find him a bit safe, a bit like a sunday roast dinner, perfectly fine and enjoyable in the right situation but lacking that bit of excitement or variety. I also get what somebody has said about him looking and acting like he wants to be something his music doesn't seem to be backing up. I do like his song Let It Go, but pretty much the whole album are just pop songs with a band playing, though he seems to want to convey he's a moody rocker. On the flipside, I think the moments in the music where he does do that show the most promise!

I bought his album from Sainbury's for the car, and at the same time bought my girlfriend the Ellie Goulding CD so we can swap over and it's fair. The Ellie Goulding one gets much more time in the CD player, and not just out of the girlfriend's choice. I just find it much edgier, much more personality, and hides the polished elements better somehow. I think because she seems more comfortable with how the music is portraying what she wants it to
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic