Oh crap.

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
So, I am a big fan of my Fulltone Fulldrive II, it's pretty much my perfect OD and in no need to change it. However, just bought a MXR Distortion + just to try it out as I never had.

This is where the 'oh crap' comes in. Whilst the Fulltone is def more 'transparent', the MXR can get almost the identical sound and if anything, adds some meat to the bones to the point where I'm actually preferring the MXR.

That's frustrating.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Why? You're allowed to use more than one pedal ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Wait for the honeymoon period to blow over and see how you feel, Ive had a few pedals that have made me think of chopping my Box of Rock clone but a few weeks later have waved them goodbye.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    It's frustrating because I'd rather spend on a Dist+ than a Fulldrive II!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    It actually surprises me that you can get a similar tone out of them - to me they sound quite different, although I haven't played a recent Dist+… but the circuits are not remotely alike. Are you using them to push an overdriven amp, or as stand-alone dirt pedals?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Pushing an overdriven amp, this was with a Blackheart BH15 set for rhythm break up, volume knob for clean and pedal dirt for heavier

• The mxr dist is great. I prefer the dist iii myself, but they are great sounding.

Cost has bugger all to do with sound. Use both pedals :)
    edited December 2013
    The mxr dist is great. I prefer the dist iii myself, but they are great sounding.

Cost has bugger all to do with sound. Use both pedals :)
    Oh I know, just being a tightass I'd rather not spend if I didn't have to lol.

But yes I will be using both pedals as I had a plan for two different boards.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    edited December 2013
    daveyh said:
    So, I am a big fan of my Fulltone Fulldrive II, it's pretty much my perfect OD and in no need to change it. However, just bought a MXR Distortion + just to try it out as I never had.

This is where the 'oh crap' comes in. Whilst the Fulltone is def more 'transparent', the MXR can get almost the identical sound and if anything, adds some meat to the bones to the point where I'm actually preferring the MXR.

That's frustrating.
    I'll have it back at half what I sold it for if its upset you that much...
    :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Aw dude that's really kind of you!
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 860
    Which model Fulldrive have you got? They sound quite different from early to middle to later mosfet ones.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    Don't know specifics, it's just a blue MOSFET FD2
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 860
    Try one of the late 90's to late00's pre mosfets, they're much fatter/ warmer sounding and are my favourite.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    edited December 2013
    The first Custom Shop 10th Aniversary Mosfets (with the Cream board) are similar to the older ones in Vintage mode.  The later ones had a green board, which then became the Blue Mosfet version, and is brighter sounding.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Hang on to the FD2,you`ll return to it after a while !