Happy Gigbday

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
well, to me, for tomorrow. I was walking back from Tesco at lunch time and thinking it will be 33 years to the day I went to my first thing I could recognisably call a gig or concert. That was Thin Lizzy. At 33 years and 4 days it will be Black Sabbath.  I don't know if that represents an appalling lack of ambition in some ways that I am basically still doing the same leisure activity I did then or an admirable passion for live music.

From memory I have only ever once left early because the band were so bad (Furniture) even when they were pretty bad (The Damned or Gay Bikers on Acid) and some of the hilights have come from unexpected quarters - The Bhundu Boys and Del Amitri and Spear of Destiny come to mind.Some of the lowlights were also unexpected - Queen were so dull although not as dull as UB40 - maybe I had just set unrealistic expectations. I have seen rock bands, folk bands, jazz bands, reggae bands, country bands, blues bands and a bunch of other stuff. Festivals are a bonanza of live acts to me although I haven't been to that many really (only one ever where I camped - Glastonbury 20 years or so ago).    

I think that's my ramblings over. Back to some coffee, some toblerone and some expenses claims. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My first gig was Guns n' Roses at Wembley Stadium (31st Aug 1991) and I've been regularly going to gigs ever since.

Most recent were last week when I saw the Black Star Riders in Leamington, and then The Waterboys in Birmingham.

• My first gig was Guns n' Roses at Wembley Stadium (31st Aug 1991) and I've been regularly going to gigs ever since.

Most recent were last week when I saw the Black Star Riders in Leamington, and then The Waterboys in Birmingham.

Wembley is quite an impressive place to start. Mine was Bingley Hall Stafford, used in the week for cattle markets and had the accompanying smell.
  • First gig was Simple Minds, Wembley Stadium, 1989.

Most recent was...Simple Minds, NIA, couple of weeks or so ago.

I HAVE been to some cooler gigs in between..honest.

• First gig was Simple Minds, Wembley Stadium, 1989.

Most recent was...Simple Minds, NIA, couple of weeks or so ago.

I HAVE been to some cooler gigs in between..honest.

We had a problem with our drains at home the other week and had to have some workmen in. The bloke who replaced our block paving told me he had seen Simple Minds the night before. He enjoyed it. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Stiff Little Fingers 1976 at the Aberdeen Capitol.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

First gig was 22 August 1992

Castle Donington Monster of Rock.

Iron Maiden - Skid Row - Thunder - Slayer - WASP - The Almighty

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Wishbone Ash at The Red Lion, Leytonstone in October 1971
  • Rain Parade supported by The Jazz Butcher at Electric Ballroom, Camden, October 1985.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • First gig was Springsteen in 1986 at one of the football stadiums in Sheffield 

most recent was Steve Hogarth at the 100 Club in oxford street just before christmas.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited January 2014
    My first gig was 34 years ago and it was Van Halen at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park (the only time I've ever been there and it's now some sort of church) and John Mayer recently at The O2.
    My first gig could've been Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous tour but my parents thought I was too young and wouldn't let me go with a mate's older brother - bah!!
  • I'd been to many smaller gigs, but the first big one was Satriani at the NEC, on the Extremist tour - 17th March '93, I believe.

It was an eye-opener, to say the least.
    <space for hire>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'd been to many smaller gigs, but the first big one was Satriani at the NEC, on the Extremist tour - 17th March '93, I believe.

It was an eye-opener, to say the least.
    I was at that one. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10502
    My first was Sky in 1984

In 2013 I saw ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Buddy Wittenham, The Union, Southern Brotherhood, Thin Lizzy, Steel Panther, Albert Lee and Roger Waters

Still love live music
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    Marillion with a cool supporting line up (Gary Moore, Magnum, Jethro Tull etc)  at the Milton Keynes Bowl June '86. 

After 100's (1000's?) of gigs that's still one fo the best I've been to :)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    Danny1969;123740" said:
    My first was Sky in 1984

In 2013 I saw ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Buddy Wittenham, The Union, Southern Brotherhood, Thin Lizzy, Steel Panther, Albert Lee and Roger Waters

Still love live music
    I saw Royal Southern Brotherhood last year - wow! Doesn't really come across on their studio album though.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    First gig was Springsteen in 1986 at one of the football stadiums in Sheffield 

most recent was Steve Hogarth at the 100 Club in oxford street just before christmas.

Bramall Lane - home of Sheffield United.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.