Building a hardtail Jazzmaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited April 2016
    Will it end up being heavier than your average les paul? I don't mind that kind of weight at all, always used to gig with them til I got my SG! Tabby cat that would be helpful, thanks! I have played a Jazzmaster but was years ago so I can't remember what it was like really. All I know is I like my Jag bass, really comfy!

I'm speaking to "my" guitar tech who also builds occasionally so if his quote isn't too expensive I may get him to make it with similar dimensions to my bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    I just checked ebay btw and Jon Manuels ebay handle is 1jonone. He hasnt got much up for sale at the mo but if your tech does work out too pricey it's definitely worth a shot
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8062
    The DIY companies should just make scaled down JM bodies, especially for telemasters which just look odd with all that length at the back.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    John Manuel is amazing - his bodies are superb and I'm sure he can build you something.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Cool I'll try and get in touch with him!

Funny you mention the telemaster as I'd considered going down that route as well. These look decent especially for the money, anyone tried them?

http://www.chguitars.co.uk/bodies/tmal-alder-telemaster-electric-guitar-body.html
    And in fact I know that Jon Manuel has built a slightly scaled down Telemaster body, a Telemaster Jr if you will for @JookyChap of this very parish !
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @DrBob said:
    And in fact I know that Jon Manuel has built a slightly scaled down Telemaster body, a Telemaster Jr if you will for @JookyChap of this very parish !
    Very nice it is too - young Jr is planning on making it pink 'n' paisley for @Moss...

Really should do a foto

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    JookyChap said:
    @DrBob said:
    Very nice it is too - young Jr is planning on making it pink 'n' paisley for @Moss...

Really should do a foto
    You really should - I can't wait!  :D
    Stop crying, start buying
    @Moss said:
    JookyChap said:
    @DrBob said:

Really should do a foto
    You really should - I can't wait!  :D
    Will do :)

edited April 2016
    I'm actually thinking I might go for a telemaster now if those CH bodies are any good (and if they come back in stock).

Interested to see your telemaster jr Jooky :)

Andrews guitar over on the BKP forum looks really nice - https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25866.0
    I think this one was a Jon Manuel one..

(Actually it may have been a @guitargeek62 one, thinking about it)

The one he has done for Moss is going to have a P90 sized Mojo Firebird GoldFoil or something, and a Bigsby so has an ABR style bridge recessed into the body. Lovely job he has done too. Right, I'll find a camera :)

edited April 2016
    Ooh just seen this, I'm thinking the wudtone black magic woman finish to get something similar !

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @JookyChap,

Ooohh F**k me that's lahhhvvvly.
    Does hes still have the templates ?

As ever, the background is simply divine too
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    TTBZ said:
    Tabby cat that would be helpful, thanks! I have played a Jazzmaster but was years ago so I can't remember what it was like really. All I know is I like my Jag bass, really comfy!
    update with pic and numbers.

squier jagmaster 2002 (25.5 strat scale) a 44.5cm, b 45.5cm, c 28.5cm.
    squier jaguar bass 2016 (short scale) a 41cm, b 43cm, c 26.5cm.

pic of squier 25.5 black jagmaster for comparison (not mine, just a random). obviously not to scale with above pic. jag bass is a bit longer.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    Cheers mate doesn't seem like there's too much in it but if I end up getting the custom body made I'll probably get it done to the Jag bass size since I know I like it.

Guitarbuild quoted me £140 for 3pc alder is that alright or a bit much for 3pc? If I'm using wudtone finish I assume the less visible joins the better as well? I'm waiting to hear back from everyone else at the minute.

I'm having a hard time deciding between a jazzmaster with strat style hardtail, and the telemaster now! I think the former looks cleaner but the latter looks pretty cool in its own way, and would give me a different tone option to what I have now (already have 2 other humbucker guitars). I thought a dimarzio chopper t in a telemaster would sound good since those single coil size humbucker have their own kinda sound and I liked the Chopper in my strat. Plus i do like the tele sound anyway. If I didn't go for a telemaster I'd probably just put a hum size p90 in the other one.