Oh Gods of the massive bottom end, Please school me on J Basses - Squier, MIM & Fender US

johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
Here's the SP, myself and a mate are both looking at getting new basses and are looking at J Basses. We both favour a maple neck and board. I may in the end opt for a Precision and also considering similar options for it.

So I was musing if the Squier Vintage Modified or MIM Jazz if pimped on the electrics and hardware front be equal to a bog standard US J Bass.

Is it better to bite the bullet and buy the US Jazz or buy either the MIM or Squier and pimp said electrics and hardware?

What say you all?

Here are some pics of what is in the frame from low to high.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/vintage_modified_jazz_bass_and_70s_maple_fingerboard_candy_apple_red.asp

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_standard_jazz_bass_maple_fretboard_candy_apple_red.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid19874/cid682/fender-american-special-jazz-bass-in-candy-apple-red-124-maple-neck.asp
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My brother got the Squire with a view to adding some upgrades but that was over 18 months ago and has left it stock as he didn't see much point in upgraded it as it is great straight out of the box.Highly recommended.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27532
    edited December 2013
    If you're only going to be an occasional bassist I'd go Squier CV or VM and maybe upgrade the pickups/loom as and when.Obviously if you're already a decent bassist and will use it loads then you'll get more mileage out of the US ones.

I'm firmly in camp A myself and still using the £100 ebay special I pimped in the clarksonesque challenge a couple of years back.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Yes camp A for me too and I do lean towards a Squier and upgrades later.

just hoping for a bit of insight from bassists.
  • MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118

I would go as far as to say that the VMJ might be the best value for money on the market. If you're looking for something to buy and upgrade, then that's the way to go!
    @MarkGAK

Thanks for the reply and if you have time could you answer a couple of queries.

Firstly have you had hands on with the 3 models or at least a couple of them?

if you have does the VMJ feel and play nearly as nice as the MIM and/or US Jazz.

I do like the VMJ and prefer the inlays on the fretboard, much classier to me (shallow I know).

But if it was upgraded in time to similar or better spec electronics & hardware as the US one would it get in the zone tone wise?

Not being cheap it is just not being a proper Bass player want to get as good as possible but not spend too much for my abilities, maybe later on I would get a higher up the range Bass.

Also not Bass related but I was going to give you a phone re one of these.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-ar420-vls-violin-sunburst/83653

Do you have any actually in stock and if not what sort of lead time, looking to buy between now and the end of January ish.

Thanks in advance.
  • MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    The VMJs really are great, and if bass isn't your main instrument, I wouldn't worry about spending more. If you want, yo could upgrade the pickups but, truth be told, the stock pickups aren't bad at all. They will certainly do for gigging and the odd bit of recording.

As for the AR420, they are currently out of stock. We're expecting them halfway through January but the pre-orders are piling up. If you want one, I would highly recommend getting a deposit down. 

Shoot me a PM or an email if you want to grab either of them!
    No worries @MarkGAK we will mull it over and decide which way to go and take it from there.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my queries.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I would concur with the VM series being great basses.

I would always chose a P bass over a Jazz bass though.
  • TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
    edited December 2013
    I am the master of all things Precision.  There is me ...... then .......... a cavernous knowledge gap to anyone else.  Here's the thing.  If you're a seeri-arse bass player - get a USA Standard Precision.  They make the sound of rock n roll.  

The downside to a Precision is that they have fairly hefty necks.  This, as far as tone is concerned, is good.  However, if that bugs ya - you could go Jazz.  Their necks are (quite a bit) slimmer.  I personally can't get on with the bridge pickup of the Jazz.  It's way too trebly.  I have a Jazz ..... and I just don't use the bridge pickup.  Simples.   Again, get a USA Jazz if you can.

You could pickup a good used Precision or Jazz for about £500 to £600 from the Basschat forum or from ebay.  New, they're about a grand.

However, there is the option of the Mexicans and the Squiers.  My bandmate guitar person has a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass (which he picked up new for an astonishing 200 nicker).  It's really very good and I would have no qualms in gigging with it.

Also, there is the option of Japanese models.  Generally easier to pick up used rather than buy them new and imported ..... as they end up being the same price as USA stuff when new and imported.  Great sounding basses.  I have a black MIJ Jazz and it is fabulous. Reckon on about £350 or less for one of those.

The downside to the non USA stuff is that they don't have the legendary string thru bodies.  I think that gives a bass the edge, but there are plenty who would dispute that and say there is no difference.

And finally, I like the look of maple ...... and one of my Precisions (known as the best looking bass of all time .... and maybe even the best looking inanimate object of all time).  However, I think rosewood gives a better "rumbly" sound on either a Precision or a Jazz.  I personally think you can hear more of the "Geddy Lee" bark of a Jazz in the Rosewood versions - and I think there is an extra growl on a rosewood Precision.

Don't be afraid of the Squiers though.  They are astonishing quality / value.  Maybe you could dip your toe in the water there and see if you like them.

And finally .... beware of the un-Fenders.  They're not so good.

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17824
    tFB Trader
    The Squire VM and CV stuff is very good VFM, but don't kid yourself that it's going to be as good as a US Jazz. 
    The one thing you can't upgrade is the wood (well you can, but you're getting into Trigger's Broom territory). 

• The Squire VM and CV stuff is very good VFM, but don't kid yourself that it's going to be as good as a US Jazz. 
    The one thing you can't upgrade is the wood (well you can, but you're getting into Trigger's Broom territory). 

Yeah, that's true.  But I've played one of the VMs at rehearsals and they are very good basses.
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17824
    tFB Trader
    Don't get me wrong I think Squier Classic Vibe are probably the best value guitars in the world right now, but a USA Std is on another level.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    The downside to the non USA stuff is that they don't have the legendary string thru bodies.  I think that gives a bass the edge, but there are plenty who would dispute that and say there is no difference.
    Nor do the legendary USA Fender Precisions and Jazzes made from the 50s to the present day, if you include the reissues! They sound just fine - in fact, arguably the definitive Fender bass tone. String-through *might* make a small difference, but it certainly isn't necessary.

I really liked the Mexican Classic Series P-Bass I played recently. (White with a gold anodized guard.) Along with the Esquire guitar from the same series, in my opinion these are as good as many vintage Fenders and only a tiny step below US Custom Shop modern ones, for a fraction of the price. They even do a version with a nitro lacquer finish now.

But the right answer is still a Rickenbacker 4001.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the comments guys all food for thought.

Most likely I will get a VM but reserve the right to change to a P bass because I do like them, a toughy though.

You are spot on and if I could justify spunking well over a grand on summat bass shaped then a Ricky either 4001 or 4003. Maybe if I get really proficient in bass but being a guitarist who plays a bit of bass I cannot justify it for now.

The bassist in my last band just bought a 4003 in midnight blue or similar in minty condition, expensive but worth it.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    My MIM Fender Mark Hoppus sig bass has Thru-body stringing. Hard to give a definitive answer as to what impact it has on the sound as it's a bit of a mish mash, being that it's a Jazz body but with a (v.meaty) SD P Bass pickup and single volume control.

Sounds flipping great but I do find that I end up mostly playing Maiden or Lizzy stuff on it as compared to my other Bass (USA EBMM SUB Sterling)..
  • Have you considered one of the Fender clones such as Sandberg, if you're looking at US Fender money?

TBH if you're looking at a decent low-cost bass as a second instrument, you should also consider non-Fender basses. There's a lot of instruments that you may find better than Squier/Fenders out there...
    Cheers for the input and definitely worth considering other options, not a high budget though due to being an amateur basserist.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    tauzero said:
    Have you considered one of the Fender clones such as Sandberg, if you're looking at US Fender money?

TBH if you're looking at a decent low-cost bass as a second instrument, you should also consider non-Fender basses. There's a lot of instruments that you may find better than Squier/Fenders out there…
    Beat me to it.  I play a Jazz-shaped Sandberg JM4 and it has bumped my lovely Musicman Stingray to second place and totally removed the urge to buy any more basses ever.  Except maybe another Sandberg!  

Can be had used for around £600 so probably a bit more that you're looking at but worth keeping in mind if/when you decide to upgrade.  There's a lot of *ahem* Fender-inspired basses out there, some of which are nothing special but some which are at least as good and maybe better than the USA Standard series, often for a bit less less dough.
    Cheers @mike357 and with two recommendations it has got to be worth a nosy.
  • RamirezRamirez Frets: 11
    ...and one of my Precisions (known as the best looking bass of all time ....

I challenge you with mine! Picture please!

Not the model boy of the village