Oh Gods of the massive bottom end, Please school me on J Basses - Squier, MIM & Fender US

2»

Comments

• TonyMTonyM Frets: 39
    ICBM said:
    The downside to the non USA stuff is that they don't have the legendary string thru bodies.  I think that gives a bass the edge, but there are plenty who would dispute that and say there is no difference.
    Nor do the legendary USA Fender Precisions and Jazzes made from the 50s to the present day, if you include the reissues! They sound just fine - in fact, arguably the definitive Fender bass tone. String-through *might* make a small difference, but it certainly isn't necessary.

I really liked the Mexican Classic Series P-Bass I played recently. (White with a gold anodized guard.) Along with the Esquire guitar from the same series, in my opinion these are as good as many vintage Fenders and only a tiny step below US Custom Shop modern ones, for a fraction of the price. They even do a version with a nitro lacquer finish now.

But the right answer is still a Rickenbacker 4001.

;)
    A white Classic '50s? The '57 RI used to come in white blond but they're megabucks.
    Please let me know more if these are now available in white!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom