PSA: 1996 R9 with a RIDICULOUS top

What's Hot
andrewandrew Frets: 47
No affiliation with the seller:

Got to be the craziest top I've ever seen on a Les Paul - just mad.
Sarcasm is often hard to detect in writing. If in doubt - yes, I was taking the piss.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It's ok. It's not the £££'s asked IMO.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    R9s weren't £5,500 new in '96 were they?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11547
    I remember seeing one priced at £3950 in '99.  £5500 would appear to be an exaggeration.

Very nice looking guitar but agree it's overpriced.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Too much money, surely?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    I think he could get close to that if he finds the right buyer. That's someone's wet dream right there
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1755
    crunchman;1031274" said:
    I remember seeing one priced at £3950 in '99.  £5500 would appear to be an exaggeration.

crunchman;1031274" said:

crunchman;1031274" said:

maybe it was just an RRP and not what they were actually selling for.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Had a quick glance through. Beautiful guitar, but I agree that it'd be hard to justify paying that price.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    And twenty years less accurate that this year's.....

As always, next year's will be 'really' accurate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73185
    Crazy indeed - that they let it out like that. Very poorly matching top - the treble side is nice, the bass side is a mess.

It might sound nice though, who knows...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 17004
    edited April 2016
    ICBM;1031318" said:
    Crazy indeed - that they let it out like that. Very poorly matching top - the treble side is nice, the bass side is a mess.

It might sound nice though, who knows...

Its mainly the angles.

1st pic, bass side figuring looks faint. 2nd pic, treble side figuring looks faint. 3rd pic, both sides look evenly figured.

That tells me the top will really come alive when viewed in the real world... Proper 3D holographic effect
    edited April 2016
    It's the way the bass side looks like it has two slightly mismatching flame patterns superimposed, most noticeable parallel with the tailpiece, bridge and pickup.

It does disappear in the second pic, but it's in all the others, so it's not just a trick of the lighting angle. I normally like uneven flame and not even, but that just looks odd.

The sunburst looks a bit uneven too, it's noticeably darker around the knobs than on the other side. Picky, yes! But at the prices these are they should be done right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I'm not that impressed with the top TBH?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6237
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:

I paid £3200 for a new r9 in 2007 (which I sold like an idiot at my ex's behest) so I doubt they were £5500 in 1996......
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    ThorpyFX;1031567" said:
    Adam_MD said:

I paid £3200 for a new r9 in 2007 (which I sold like an idiot at my ex's behest) so I doubt they were £5500 in 1996......
    I didn't think so cheers.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17004
    ICBM;1031561" said:
    It's the way the bass side looks like it has two slightly mismatching flame patterns superimposed, most noticeable parallel with the tailpiece, bridge and pickup.

It does disappear in the second pic, but it's in all the others, so it's not just a trick of the lighting angle. I normally like uneven flame and not even, but that just looks odd.

The sunburst looks a bit uneven too, it's noticeably darker around the knobs than on the other side. Picky, yes! But at the prices these are they should be done right.
    Dude, its wood!! ;)

I see a nicely matched, but slightly riftsawn top. The two side react differently to the light, but they are clearly both reacting quite a bit.

To me that's a near perfect top, in fact it probably looks nicer than it would if it was not rift sawn

Not for you maybe. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I don't see how this is a very rare guitar as described by the seller. Gibson have churned these out on an industrial scale.
    But it is nice and would sell at the correct price.

WezV said:
    Dude, its wood!! ;)

I see a nicely matched, but slightly riftsawn top. The two side react differently to the light, but they are clearly both reacting quite a bit.

To me that's a near perfect top, in fact it probably looks nicer than it would if it was not rift sawn

Not for you maybe. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with it

Not for me, definitely.

I see a top with significantly mismatched grain between the two sides. I actually like 'uneven' flame - I find perfectly parallel, equal-width stripes boring - but in the sense of unevenness across the length and width, not from one side to the other :).

In any case, this is *far* from the most spectacular top I've ever seen on an R9, even if you like that sort of thing (I don't really), so I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about - it's just an average, not-very-perfectly chosen or finished piece of wood. Very typically Gibson, which is fine.

But then I tend to prefer goldtops and black Customs anyway ;).

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6943
    You are right it is ridiculous much prefer a good plain top or a GT any day...

Each to their own though I guess..

Someone will be happy.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31261
    I think it's bloody stunning.

Re the price, it's a 'pre-historic' 'goodwood' era model and they fetch top coin.

Braz fretboard for sure too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Looks good to me but what a price!