Chorus writing

Started this song with a really good guitar hook and it just sounds like it could be a really good song but I can't think up a chorus that does it justice! So frustrating. I know I'm not the only person who will have had this problem though. How long has anyone had to wait in the past before you think of that chorus that you know is right. Any tips from anyone on how I can get this chorus - I know it's there somewhere!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Try it Pixies stylee- loud verse, quiet chorus.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Maybe what you have is the chorus, and you need a slightly blander verse in order to set people up for really liking the chorus when it comes in
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Depends what you're trying to achieve, but if it's a hook that you're after, then first write the hook as a melody. Put the guitar down and sing some old shit. Concentrate on the tune to the extent that the words can just be oh-oh-oooooooh-ooh, or some other banal rubbish. If you don't find it too embarrassing then that's your chorus. If you can't stand the idea of actually having banal rubbish in your song, then now is the time to write some words to go with the melody.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Depends entirely what style you're writing in, what makes a good classic rock chorus isnt the same as what mates a good metal chorus or whatever.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9822
    Or whether you need a chorus at all. Could you have a different contrasting riff instead between verses?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Cheers for the inputs! I had a mess about with it with the other guitarist in my band and we both pulled together to get a good chorus
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    i haven't written in ages, but generally my verses and choruses were four bars each, so when i wrote a lyric it was the set of words that were hookiest that became the chorus. or, when nirvana were popular, and most choruses just seemed to be one line of something really cool repeated four times, i just repeated something really cool four times