Ugly classic cars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013
    That'd be the W8 /\ (can't make out the text on the board via my phone though)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

And one of my own, not-so-smart purchases, of a few years ago:-

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cars/scan0018.jpg

• danodano Frets: 1610
    Deadman said:
    Truly the ugliest has to be the Aston Martin Lagonda. In fact, the estate version (Shooting Brake) is even worse:

For a moment I thought the estate part on the rear had been photoshopped on, until I realised it Is that fugly

•   Then there's the Fiat Multipla. So ugly I can't even bring myself to post a pic of it.

You know when you get kids to fold a piece of paper in three and one draws the legs of a person, the next draws the body without seeing the legs and then the third draws the head without seeing the legs or body..... that's how I've always felt the went about designing the Multipla.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited August 2013
    Edited as I'm an idiot.
    My V key is broken
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    The original Countach is a superb-looking thing.

I feel I should put forward the Mini Marcos - hideous thing. None of the bits looked like they quite fitted together.

Triumph TR7 wasn't exactly a looker either...

EDIT: Is it just me or are the picture links borked?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    edited August 2013
    Bucket said:
    Triumph TR7 wasn't exactly a looker either...
    I don't think the TR7 looks as bad from here as it did when it first came out, when everyone was used to TR6s. Quite cool in a 70s retro sort of way. Almost a classic, in fact!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    Bucket said:

I feel I should put forward the Mini Marcos - hideous thing. None of the bits looked like they quite fitted together.

That's no problem. Most of the time the bits *didn't* fit together :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I don't think the TR7 looks as bad from here as it did when it first came out, when everyone was used to TR6s. Quite cool in a 70s retro sort of way. Almost a classic, in fact!
    The TR6 is a lovely looking thing... I get that it must have been a hard act to follow, but really, they could have done better.
    edited August 2013
    Bucket said:
    The TR6 is a lovely looking thing... I get that it must have been a hard act to follow, but really, they could have done better.
    I agree, I just don't think the 7 is as bad as a lot of other 70s/80 British efforts, and has a certain "future retro" charm to it now. I do think the soft-top looks *miles* better than the hardtop though.

A friend of my dad's has a TR6... I just wish that when he fully restored and resprayed it, he'd gone with something less original than mustard yellow!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    TR7 V8s are great. Mine was pushing 260 bhp
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    That's pretty cool - I bet that went like shit off a shovel. Fuel economy must have been horrific though, Rover V8s are hardly the last word in efficiency or sophistication - I've heard that old Land Rovers with them fitted often average about 10 mpg.
    ICBM said: I agree, I just don't think the 7 is as bad as a lot of other 70s/80 British efforts, and has a certain "future retro" charm to it now. I do think the soft-top looks *miles* better than the hardtop though.

A friend of my dad's has a TR6... I just wish that when he fully restored and resprayed it, he'd gone with something less original than mustard yellow!
    My dad had a TR7 very briefly around the time they came out - IIRC  he told me he didn't even manage to drive it home, he got halfway there before turning around to take it back, because he hated it so much :D

I just found this picture of a modded TR6 - whatever your views on modified cars, I think this looks stunning.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    With standard early-70s British Leyland brakes and steering :-O.
    Bucket said:
    Fuel economy must have been horrific though, Rover V8s are hardly the last word in efficiency or sophistication - I've heard that old Land Rovers with them fitted often average about 10 mpg.
    I remember Quentin Wilson said they were so hugely powerful you could tow a fuel tanker behind you :).

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207

And one of my own, not-so-smart purchases, of a few years ago:-

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cars/scan0018.jpg

I like them, they look alright and have the V8 noise. But I think I can guess what made it a not so smart purchase...
    My V key is broken
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    ICBM;10537" said:
    Axe_meister said:

With standard early-70s British Leyland brakes and steering :-O.

Bucket said:Fuel economy must have been horrific though, Rover V8s are hardly the last word in efficiency or sophistication - I've heard that old Land Rovers with them fitted often average about 10 mpg.

I remember Quentin Wilson said they were so hugely powerful you could tow a fuel tanker behind you :).
    Mine did about 9mpg. I rebuilt the engine from the ground up. Never quite got the carboration right so it would push flames out of the exhaust.
    Updated the breaks to 4 pot calipers and fitted power steering.
    Had to stiffen the body as it would twist with the tourque produced.
    Do miss it. It had character, but I fell in love with a lotus Elise S1
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited August 2013
    whoops, wrong thread.    :))
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Had one of these years ago ... went like stink and was quite a ground breaker for its day. But I could never make up my mind if it was pretty or just pretty ugly. Wrapped it round a wall in the end so settled the argument :(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Had one of these years ago ... went like stink 
    funny you should say that,  a mate had one back in the 80s,  was frighteningly quick,  considering how shite the breaks were :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited August 2013
    My Stag looked gorgeous, sounded wonderful, and was a full four seat convertible. Downsides were crap cooling (mechanical fan, electric fan, 12-vane water-pump, engine oil cooler, and it still ran too hot), for a crap engine (snapped the jackshaft in half, broken timing chains)., crap rear suspension (felt like a wheel was about to fall off when you exited a corner), crap gearbox (Borg-Warner "bogwash" 35), and crap fuel consumption (18 mpg round town). I couldn't wait to offload the poxy thing.