Biting the bullet - my 'go big or go home' board build

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    I'm thinking AMT R2.

Cracking pedal.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @TimmyO Lordly Lordington, that is going to be incredible...and here's me considering cutting down on pedals (well down to 2 H9s a dirt & a boost but still...). Shame on me!

Your board is going to be epic. Gigging or not, fuck it, mate, you're going to have a blarst!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'm thinking AMT R2.

Cracking pedal.
    Hhmmm not trid oneof them.Yet.

Emphasis on yet...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    It's awesome.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7714
    MrSwanson said:
    Looks  sweet and nice choice of pedals.

Which sized board is that? Looks like a good size
    It's the G2 Medium board from here: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/gigrig-g2-board/ ;

Red ones are better. 
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 471
    edited April 2016
    Thanks, I'm really gassing for one now.
    I have some money left over from selling gear and don't know what to buy!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    Despite being fully aware of the dimensions I was still a bit taken aback when I unpacked it - never had a board so big but it's a fun indulgence 
    Red ones are better. 
    I've been faffing about trying to decide on layouts and whether or not to include my bass pedals too for hours yesterday and most of today haha.

Decided I'm just going to get it all in there and leave slack in a few cables to allow for mind-changing later.

Going to put the bass pedals on but all in one loop to use as normal, while I experiment alongside to see if the H9s can do their job.

I've also learned that the current Lava solder less (tightrope) are SO much easier to assemble than the old Mini ELC solder less - I'm pretty sure when some people say that Lava are bad their experience may have been with ELC, not Tightrope. 

Challenge now is to get it all finished before it's too late to play!

Red ones are better. 
    What a faff! :-) 

Looks like one of the outputs on one of my Isolators is borked - nothing I plug in to that power output powers - swapping cables around seems to show it's not the cables, so it must be the outlet :-( I bought it secondhand but might see if Gigrig can repair it rather than have to buy a whole new one (the other 3 outlets on it work fine) 

It also took me an age to work out the cable routing for both using my amp FX loop *and* using the DI and amp outs of the Torpedo Reload - I had to kind of follow but also tweak the hookup diagrams for both units at the same time - this means there are multiple ways to get it not quite right - I found most of them. 

I think it's all hooked up right now but for one big problem - any time I enable Post Gain I lose all output. I'm totally baffled. Leaving it for today and will see if I can find any gotchas on t'internet tomorrow. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Thinking about it, the post gain circuit drives the insert loop - so there must be a problem with the connection to/from the amp fx loop... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Needs a proper brewtal metal pedal.
    @TimmyO did speak very favourably of the MetalZone I brought to the last SwinShowAndTell.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I blame low blood sugar and a lack of oxygen in the stuffy rehearsal room...
    Red ones are better. 
    I blame low blood sugar and a lack of oxygen in the stuffy rehearsal room...
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    And I had set it for fuzz rather than brootalz. Yet still no-one believes me that it does a good fuzz.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sporky said:
    And I had set it for fuzz rather than brootalz. Yet still no-one believes me that it does a good fuzz.
    I agree on the MT-2, way better than most give it credit for. 
    Wind the treble back, put the bass up a little, add some mids, and don't put the gain much past half-way.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TimmyO said:
    So, board arrived today (thanks @custompedalboards ) - as did my new G2 firmware chip so I installed that and now looking forward to stringing it all together at the weekend 

looking good timeh!

a few suggestions.
    have the pedals on tier jack plugs upto back of tier so the cables go straight down and under.
    that 3 FS black thing above the klon klone, swap them over if your using the foot switches, will be easier. unless it has some sort of connection going out the middle of it, if so leave as is.
    if the post gain aint working right and u have it connected, maybe wires are wrong way round, unplug the cables out of the insert sockets and if it works fine then its how you've wired it up.
    isolator, pull out the plastic connector blocks associated with the 1 that doesnt work and clean out the holes, will most liekly have a bit of plastic in there left over from another cable which is why its not working, make sure u then put them back in the right way round.

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    TimmyO said:
    So, board arrived today (thanks @custompedalboards ) - as did my new G2 firmware chip so I installed that and now looking forward to stringing it all together at the weekend 

looking good timeh!

a few suggestions.
    have the pedals on tier jack plugs upto back of tier so the cables go straight down and under.
    that 3 FS black thing above the klon klone, swap them over if your using the foot switches, will be easier. unless it has some sort of connection going out the middle of it, if so leave as is.
    if the post gain aint working right and u have it connected, maybe wires are wrong way round, unplug the cables out of the insert sockets and if it works fine then its how you've wired it up.
    isolator, pull out the plastic connector blocks associated with the 1 that doesnt work and clean out the holes, will most liekly have a bit of plastic in there left over from another cable which is why its not working, make sure u then put them back in the right way round.

cheers for those.

Yes the 3-switch thing isn't going there, they were just lobbed on to put it all away for the day. 

Aye I twigged the 'push them to the back of the tier' when I was wiring up.

Yes I think I must have either wired the loop up wrongly or have a dodgy cable in there (one of them came out of the cable bag and hasn't been used for some time, although it's a good one originally) 

Isolator - yep did all that, had the inserts right out and they were clear (and the insulation was still on the cable that came out of it) spent literally hours on this using various cables, swapping them round, shortening and seating them afresh and with different pedals - the only common factor is that anything that goes in the 4th slot on that isolator does not power up. 

Are the contacts inside accessible at all to put a meter on? 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited April 2016
    This was an in progress pic part way through yesterday - shows the currently planned layout at least

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ok take the iso apart and bend the clip thingys back in a bit, it just maybe there not connecting to the cable when u put it in.
    test every cable u make before fitting it, saves a lot of time when it comes to testing because every cable works, so then u know its down to user error as in wiring is wrong way round rather than a cable not wired right.
    but those lava solderless plugs (even tho they are a knock off) are hard to get wrong.

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    Cool yep will try that.

Oh yes the Lavas were flawless - all worked first time except for one where I'd forgotten to peel back the black inner sheathing 
    Red ones are better.