Découpage onto pedal enclosure, which glue?

What's Hot
Will PVA (I've a big tub of builder's stuff) be OK to glue paper onto a pedal enclosure like this?

Then what's best over the top to protect it, clear coat type stuff from halfords?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    I used pva when I did it. Worked nicely.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    I'd suggest using Halfords auto primer on the bare enclosure, then do your PVA stuff. Clear coat - yes the stuff from Halfords, but test it first to make sure it doesn't react with the inks of whatever printed materials you're sticking down.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 277
    Ok great, thanks for the confirmation @unclepsychosis and for the advice @timhulio
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    And you should have a look at @unclepsychosis's découpage thread for inspiration and advice too: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/70927/marvel-comics-decoupage-fuzz#latest
    edited April 2016
    mart said:
    And you should have a look at @unclepsychosis's découpage thread for inspiration and advice too: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/70927/marvel-comics-decoupage-fuzz#latest
    That's really useful thanks.

The project is a foot drum/stomp box type thing I bought so I thought decoupage it with postage stamps, 'Stamp Collector' geddit?

I've a 100 used 10p stamp en route and thinking something like this but rectangular:

As it'll having actual foot contact to the finish I'll have to clear coat it thoroughly though I don't mind if it gets a bit relic'd in use.

A nice little project to do with my 5yo, except the clear coat bit obviously!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    That'll look really cool. Have fun!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I was lost at decoupage.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    I used to do fabric finishes back when I started building effects. Similar method to the paper - prime the metal to give the glue something to stick to, glue then trim the fabric (cotton works best) then clearcoat. Looking at them now, I'm sure there was a neater way of folding the fabric at the front, but nevermind.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    timhulio said:
    I used to do fabric finishes back when I started building effects. Similar method to the paper - prime the metal to give the glue something to stick to, glue then trim the fabric (cotton works best) then clearcoat. Looking at them now, I'm sure there was a neater way of folding the fabric at the front, but nevermind.

I like the hospital corners
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited April 2016
    axisus said:
    I was lost at decoupage.
    It's like décolletage but less fun to look at. ;)

(IMHO, YMMV, etc).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom